New Samson Vortex

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Any one try this new 24 strand from Samson? I just saw it on the WesSpur site and was wondering.

rop1vob-500.gif

rop1vxb-500.gif

I am needing to buy a spool of rope pretty soon here, maybe Vortex, hmmmm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will be replacing a 150 foot line here soon. My Big Foot is about to become smaller again :lol: It says the orange will be available soon.

I like it. It is easy on experienced hands, I have been climbing on it for about three months now.

I tried bailout, and Icetail, went back to Ocean 8mm. The bailout was biting too hard even with a loose VT. Running a Distel with the Ocean and liking the constant friction. I have so many cords and have to test different combos, I don't know that I really care anymore, as long as I can go up and down they all work to one degree or another, cept for Beeline, it sucks.

Been using it for about a month now, like it a lot for Wrenching on. Awesome stuff, splices like a dream. Really like having the larger feel when doing SRT work. Haven't tried with for DRT, but I'd suspect its just as awesome for it as it is for SRT.

Been using it for about a month now, like it a lot for Wrenching on. Awesome stuff, splices like a dream. Really like having the larger feel when doing SRT work. Haven't tried with for DRT, but I'd suspect its just as awesome for it as it is for SRT.

Larger diameter, softer lay? I can see where a larger diameter would/could wrench better than the finer ropes. About the splicing, I'd like to see it done for comparison sake.

Bumping this thread...

I need to pick up some new rope, and am looking at the Samson Vortex as a possible choice. I wonder if people are liking it with some greater experience now since Stephen's initial post? I have been climbing on Hi-Vee with HRC for my VT and I like it, but what I have is too short. I don't have much experience with different ropes, Hi-Vee and True Blue is about it. I noticed that the Vortex is pretty light with minimal stretch. I have some HRC and Tenex cordage, and would hope to use one of those for my friction hitch. Thanks for any thoughts, where I am located with the lack of information, what you guys have to say really helps me out. I have to order rope and other gear from the states, and it costs an arm and a leg to get it here, plus the government at this end puts a special tax on imported synthetic rope, for some unfathomable reason. So, I generally mull things over before plunging in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still have not taken the plunge Jay. So nothing to add yet. Too many fish to fry right now and I feel like I am the one being fried by the fish......

I'd also like some feedback on this line going to buy a 150 line soon narrowed down to blaze or rocket or this stuff been using regular velocity for several years but would like something a little fatter.

I love it, theres very little stretch in this line and the 13mm size feels great in the hands. Its a super soft rope as well, and holds knots well, yet it has very little stretch and runs great in hitches. I recommended this line to Kevin Bingham and he praises it now, he loves it.

Jay, to answer your question, HRC or Tenex will work great with Vortex. Any hitch cords really will work great, you just need to dial it in and you'll be all set.

Great info, Adrian, thanks! I have been searching on the net to find some commentary about that rope, but about all I could come up with is fifty different ways to say how Samson is a world leader in rope technology.... Yours is the first more definitive analysis based on experience. The only down side I found is that that this type of rope milks, so spliced eyes on both ends isn't recommended.

I'm due to refresh my skinnin lines as well. I'm reading this thread closely. I've been squirrelin on hi vee for years now and am ready to dabble with something else.

I wouldn't fool around with splicing both ends of a rope Jay. Rope will milk, no matter what ppl say, and a splice on both end creates a problem when the sheath trys to milk itself out. It'll bunch up on one end, or spread itself over a length of rope, creating a loose sheath that can slip on hitches, etc. Can also lead to various other problems.

Ive never climbed on this rope but I handled it at Charlotte and was surprised at how heavy it was. Jay take a look at yales imori also. I like that stuff. And remember if you srt. You only need half as much....

The vortex is about equivalent in weight to arbormaster, a tad less, according to the chart. The arbormaster does seem like a generally fine rope, looking at the specs. What would make it unsuitable for single line usage, as is indicated? It doesn't have any more stretch than blaze, which is shown as suitable for SRT. Actually, one chart shows all 16 strand ropes as being unsuitable for SRT.

Jay, it may be that Blue Streak and it's littermates is a pretty fat line, even in the 1/2" category it's on the big side. So it doesn't run classic mechanical ascenders as well as thinner ropes do.

We are in a real transition time here...SRT used to mean a canopy access (read ascent) system only, whereas today SRT can mean up and down movement capable working systems. We may need a more difinitive acronym.

Back