New Samson Vortex

Jay, it may be that Blue Streak and it's littermates is a pretty fat line, even in the 1/2" category it's on the big side. So it doesn't run classic mechanical ascenders as well as thinner ropes do.

We are in a real transition time here...SRT used to mean a canopy access (read ascent) system only, whereas today SRT can mean up and down movement capable working systems. We may need a more difinitive acronym.

I'm using the term "hybrid" SRT system. Right now, the only high angle discipline to utilize a method that allows climbing a rope as well as immediately going to descent is ours and ours and ours alone.

New frontiers.

I'm using the term "hybrid" SRT system. Right now, the only high angle discipline to utilize a method that allows climbing a rope as well as immediately going to descent is ours and ours and ours alone.

New frontiers.

That works OK for me, Dave. A good suggestion that I think I'll adopt, if you don't mind. Interesting times for rope technicians.

NE's Fly is a kernmantle, which is reminiscent of the rock ropes I learned to climb with. The sheath on kernmantle ropes is way different than any other arb rope, it is smooth and tight and just perfect IMHO. It doesnt pick or twist as much it seems and it just has a great feel.

Add in the fact that it is cheap and its an all around winner! I will likely replace my existing line with the same when the time comes.

One disadvantage though Jay, is that the eye spice is extrememely difficult to complete as I understand, and it is a bit bulkier than 16 or 24 strand ropes, the eye splice that is not the rope itself. Don't have both ends spliced as it can cause you problems with ring and rings and other friction devices that require being fed. The splice will pass a through a small ring but it can get jammed going through 2 small ones.

If you go with the Fly, get it from TreeStuff or someplace that Rich Hattier aka Anchor Bridge Rope Works, provides their splicing service. He's figured out a very neat way to splice the Fly so its not nearly as bulky or odd. He turns an ugly duckling splice into a swan splice as some might say lol.

The majority of spliced products that I own came from Rich @ ABR, my 150' Fly included. All of the splices from ABR are without a doubt top notch and Rich is a great guy, that being said the Fly eyesplice is still bulky and bit disheveled looking compared to the 16/24 strand, or hollow braid/double braid eye splices or eye-n-eye cords that you are likely more familiar with.

Its a minor issue really, however I would not in retrospect have both ends of my rope tight eye'd... As soon as I think of a use for a 5 or so foot dead eye cord with a tight eye I might cut one end off. I wish I had gotten 1 tight and 1 girth eye, atleast, then I could cut the girth eye off and have something more useful. Lesson learned.

A lanyard, perhaps...just use a biner instead of a snaphook. You'd need to shorten the line way more than 5 feet, but worth a thought.

I want a fat velocity and am not into ropes enough to know if this is it. Lightweight and tough as hell, just fatter. Any feedback on how it likes natural crotching? I do a lot of wide canopy trees and friction savers just slow me down. Would also like to go back to running a fatter hitch cord.

[QUOTE=woodworkingboy;534972]The vortex is about equivalent in weight to arbormaster, a tad less, according to the chart. The arbormaster does seem like a generally fine rope, looking at the specs. What would make it unsuitable for single line usage, as is indicated? It doesn't have any more stretch than blaze, which is shown as suitable for SRT. Actually, one chart shows all 16 strand ropes as being unsuitable for SRT.[/QUOTE]

Good grief just typed out a whole reply to you dude, and the right click on the mouse killed it. So as I see it I use arbormaster exclusively both with the wrench and Ddrt. Have tried velocity and Tachyon and they are alright but I always have 3 rotating hanks of da bombmaster floating. It has bounce in SRT but good technique and upper attachment point which keeps you and the system aligned will work wonders during ascent. I use a homemade chest harness which tends the wrench/hitch combo as well as keeping me upright and centered when advancing with the pantin of footlock. That being said the vortex I am told is very spongy and I will try it out when I get up to the New England area at month end. I like firm 1/2" rope as it is easy on my big hands ( 6' 175 lbs ). Also I max out here at 80' on average so the extra weight ain't no biggy, I understand those that climb monster trees SRT are looking for max efficiency and an ease weightwise. So their choices are different. I natural crotch most of the time and it's hard on the ropes as its mostly thick hard barked trees I climb so that is another factor for choosing the tested abrasive resistant arbormaster, it is tough rope. Don't get me wrong got all the fS bell's and whistles, just not too keen on them except smooth and thin barked trees. It's all about trying stuff out as I have learn't what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Climbing styles vary too much and affect equipment choices. Here is a pic of a home built FS by my good friend. That cocoon is sweet and can be set from the ground. Not that I care to I like to get up there and get to work I am a pretty basic dude, but I got some gear specially for rec climbing which I muck about with from time to time away from work. IMG04052-20120615-1643.jpg IMG04053-20120615-1644.jpg

Picked me up some Vortex yesterday, looking forward to putting an eye splice in and taking it to work. I bought the first length off the only reel in the UK.......

Spliced up and ready for work, feels softer than velocity. It is heavy compared to 11 mm ropes but then it is a full 1/2 inch. Long time since I climbed on something that fat!

Here it is flanked by two velocity splices for scale.

5184404f-101c-e677.jpg

Nice splice man! Love splicing this stuff, splices like a dream come true, so, so easy! You'll love it, been climbing on it since October and can't see myself going back to anything else. Sold my 200' of KMIII since Vortex has replaced it for me.

Greenhorn, Vortex is some tough stuff man, I run mostly SRT but occasionally use natural crotch DdRT if I'm say descending from a spar or removal, or doing a quick removal or prune, and its taken everything I've put it through. Lot better than say Tachyon or Rocket when it comes to natural crotching. I'd highly recommend it to anyone for DdRT or SRT, splices like a dream, easy on the hand, cool colors, tough, very little stretch and bounce, overall a home run rope. Weight isn't a huge issue for me, I have a 200' hank, and I use it for everything.

Yea, i been superstoked on this line. Thanks for turning me on to it adrian. I been loving it.

Back