Super Splitter

brendonv

Tree Hugger
So I'm picking up a conveyor from the guy I plow for, I need a nice unit to bang out wood to feed said conveyor.

I'm going to order a super splitter this week, any objections/suggestions before I pull the trigger?

I've got the trailer now, so much wood, some space, and a demand for wood. So figuring I mine a well make a few bucks.

I like Mike's Timberwolf & conveyor setup. Not a true processor, but it makes big piles of firewood in a hurry. I think his is the TW-5.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought TW but the wood I process is pre-Madonna wood. Perfect size, is all I take home. I figured the super splitter is just so damned fast on that sized wood.

Logrite made a "processor" out of a super splitter. Over 2/3 cord and hour, one guy. Pretty impressive IMO.

I demoed a super splitter and HATED it. I really do not like the design, and I think its an unsafe. Just my opinion, obviously, as some people love theirs.

Did'nt you have one on your mini?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw that, Andy. Not sure it'd be cut out for production use, but I'll look into it.

Ed, I have a 3 point splitter I modified to use with the mini. Even a 4 way wedge for it. The freaking mini eats soooo much fuel I mine as well not split the wood. I figured I can use that to knock down large rounds into small pieces, then run them through the SS.

I agree, the SS does seem dangerous. But goddamn it produces wood!

You need something like this - This works on a dribble of diesel -

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hbcPZ2xxQD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HWpQsTtg6QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They do have a fast cycle time, but when you factor in how many passes you'll need to take on less than ideal wood... the TW with a 6 or 8-way wedge will smoke the SS.

Electricity is pretty cheap down here and is basically always on tap. About $.0825 hp/hr for residential single phase.

I'm with Carl on this one, as soon as I get the funds together my next one will be electric. One less engine to maintain, quiet, easy to start and cheap to run.
I've got the I-beam, a 1-1/2hp motor, a 16" stroke cylinder (shorter than I wanted but free is free) I just need a pump and to weld it all together.

I've amassed another pile of industrial crap that I've been thinking about making into a crude processor. I've got a 20 HP electric motor for a radial saw and a 10 HP hydraulic power pack and a 5x24 cylinder, which may be a little small for a multiple wedge, although I could find another cylinder pretty easy. A friend is taking one off of a 50 ton P&H, but that would be more like a whole log splitter size.:lol:

Anyone seen this yet...??
Some old flywheel tech come back :/:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vG6uFje0pdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chelmsford (They pronounce it "Chemsfid") was my stomping ground in my Aspludh days.

Back