Redwood Fall 10-30-11

Actually, I guess I'd have HAD to done it twice, LOL. I remember coming back in '69 or '70. When the tires hit the ground ALL the GI's aboard began yelling like crazy! Back from the Nam and still alive.

By the looks of the first picture it appears to be a pair of D7's actually holding the log off the ground .Winch cable on one end and the blade up under the aft end .They don't appear to be actually dragging it but rather carrying it .

Pretty good pair of cat skinners to do that because you about have to match your speeds exactly .

From and to the west coast, 12-14 hours. One way has a favoring wind so is faster, but I can't recall which direction. Nice if you can sleep, and when the cabin attendants are friendly. I've met some interesting folks on flights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's push pull, Al. skidded on the ground. Moving at a comfortable walking pace. I followed the train for a mile taking pictures all the way. so,,, I got a bunch.

Priceless pics, the light and the colors and the mist are awesome.

Bump for this thread.

Some of the newer members may not have seen it before. Great photos and info.

One thing that I have wanted to ask Jerry is what he considers the hardest pull tree he has had to climb and rig and for what reason?

I'm really surprised 2 cats were used to move the log, seems like one would have plenty of juice.

Great thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2011? Wow! I'm getting old and senile. I forgot all about that one. Thanks for the bump, Chris!

You asked about the toughest tree to rig? If we had all the rigging needed to pull a tree properly things usually went pretty smooth, but a lot of loggers, during the latter years in the second-growth, didn't have the rigging to pull the big trees. Then things would / could get sketchy, and difficult. I had some tough ones.

Probably the toughest was the leaner in Pepperwood Creek, down in Gualala, for Ray Woods and Morris Logging. The story about it is in High Climbers. Tree was only about 200 ft tall. I set a 17 inch tail-block about halfway up. The tree leaned back about 50 feet. Morris pulled it with a Washington yarder, 108 I believe. Yeah it was a real som..beech. More work went into getting it on the mountain than it was worth. I think the only person that made any money on it was me.

Back