Northern Lights

You should think about a visit to Rborist1's area Jerry, between you, your camera and the northern lights I bet you could spur a calender worth of shots :/:

we see them pretty regular up here just below the 49th. It has been a couple years since I saw a really good show. The trouble is I am usually travelling south in the mornings to work when I would get the best show.

I actually saw them in the 60's as teenager on rare occasions .Unlike these days though the 60's were a colder winter type thing .Cold as well drillers butt on clear starry nights and 20 below was not uncommon .

You could probabley Google it and find out the best time period if there is any for the location .I've never tried it but you can just about find anything with a little trip though Google land .

Once you get North of 60, it become a common kind of deal, oddly all of the displays I have seen surpass the one before. Way up North you can hear the lights as they move thru the sky.:evil:

What's funny is I never saw them on the polar ice cap for some reason .Might have something to do with breaking through the ice in day time .;)

I was waiting for Rborist to claim the soundtrack but I guess the Nice Guy gets it this time. Alaska time Dave?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometimes they can predict a show, but not that often. The big show the other night was out of the blue and they still aren't sure of the cause, as of last night.

Back about 10 years ago in the evening the sky in the east turned blood red. Nothing to the North. I watched quite a while before I convinced myself they had to be Northern Lights. I called everybody to see the show.

I have done a lot of late night and early morning work over the years, so I have had a bunch of views of them. Never gets old. My bud that grew up down the road had never seen them. I told him that I had seen them recently and he said "why didn't you call me?" Cause it was 2 in the morning. "I don't care, call me next time." I did several times and he would usually answer on the second ring. He left this earth in '05. 50 years old.

You can Google it .I've never personally seen the real vivid displays .They only were flashs of light .They would kind of flash above the horizon not much difference from seeing the New Jersey lobbing shells into the coast of Viet Nam so many years ago only many many thousand miles difference .

I guess the real fantastic displays look like something out of a science fiction movie .

Sorry to hear for your loss, Coble. I think Jay put it best.

Once, tramping thru the snow with some buds in Calgary in my university days peaking on some mushrooms, the lights put on a show. We laid on our backs in the snow for what seemed like hours and watched them in awe. Best display I ever saw, but there may have been a good reason for it. Saw them pretty regularly there. We were on the outskirts (kind of), so the light pollution wasn't as bad as inner city.

Haven't seen em here since we moved.

Around my shop was nothing, an apple orchard was about the only sign of civilization and the road. Then they started building houses, ugly ones. When the closest new neighbor turned on a porch light for the first time, it sent me into depression for about a week. It is supposed to be dark at night, and I liked sometimes having to feel my way out to where my truck was parked....and the neighbor, I don't know why they have to turn on the light, nobody ever comes over.

Back