Blue Oak Cabling Contender??

How does this affect liability and cost of insurance?

Once you cable a tree wouldn't any failure would be on you?

How so?

By inspecting and cabling don't you imply safety and durability of the tree and take on responsibility for it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In CA, probably so. Seems you are responsible even if....
Client has been advised that this is not a fix, but damage mitigation. In other words, advised it will eventually fail. The cabling is more about minimising and mitigation of damage to the structures and targets under the tree.
HO is aware that by trying to lengthen it's presence, they are assuming risks by doing so.
This might buy the tree some time. Mother nature can sweep her hand and have her way with it. Cars are no longer parked under it. See how it goes.

Consider me sicced! If not sick...

Nice looking tree and work! Sad that all those lower limbs were whacked long ago; increases risk = dumb.
Without seeing the fork I can't comment on steel vs. dynamic, and please don't sic jomoco on that question!

The cabling => liability myth dies hard. Fact is we assume Some liability if we just look at, or don't look at, a tree. Work professionally, make no promises, have no worries!

Thanks, I see what your both saying. i don't mess with it myself, and there is more behind my question than I care to get into here. Just looking for some input.

On trees like this I am often asked "what would you do?"
I always answer "If you go look at my house, there is not a tree or branch over it or leaning toward it that can reach it. But I am a tree guy". ;)

If they could hire a better lawyer than you, I wouldn't be so sure.

Even here in no-sue land, we've had some problems with that. I don't cable for that reason.

How so?

By inspecting and cabling don't you imply safety and durability of the tree and take on responsibility for it?

No way.

If this were true, anyone who fixes anything would be responsible for every eventual failure of everything in the world.

It's not your decision to make. They own the tree. You advise them, they make the final call. You're the risk advisor, they're the risk manager.

Cabling let's us keep (much needed) trees longer.

love
nick

I'm not against saving some trees if it's the better solution.

If someone fixes the brakes on my car or the roof on my house they dang well are responsible for a reasonable amount of time!

If you cable, then go back and inspect every so often, aren't you renewing responsibility until the next recommended inspection?

Or is this just a take the money and run type of thing?

I inspect and assess the trees I have installed systems in every 2-3 years with few exception. I doubt I will ever have a problem, but one never knows. Look at Deva and the swing he recently went through... or may still be..
I look at it as extending the inevitable and inform the HO as such.. All my wording during a consult and plan pretty much says, your tree is doomed, maybe this will help extend the time before failure and possibly safety some of your assets that are targets. No guarantees.
I won't ignore the fact this may someday nip me.
I won't ignore the money and the relationships I form doing it.
Seems to really upscale the business reputation since we started doing it.
Since we will have at least a 40 percent mortality rate on our trees up here right now, minimum. Maybe keeping a tree around a little longer seems like a noble thing. Rewarding.
I may kick myself in the arse for it one day. Dunno. I kind of doubt it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to hijack your thread Stephen. I know how that's looked down upon here.;)

+1 to Nick's post. Think about it!

"there is more behind my question than I care to get into here."
that has a whiff of anaerobic compost to it.

That "Aren't you afraid...aren't you responsible..." line comes from

1. Not knowing enough about cabling, or

2. Loving the smell of napalm/2-cycle in the morning, and a lust for sawdust, or

3. Fearmongering aka trolling.

I've researched and testified in several cable-failure cases, and never was the contractor even named in the lawyer's opening shotgun-blast.

Well, like I posted earlier, I'll not tie up Stephen's thread any more.

Sorry to have pissed you off somehow...thanks for your input.

Back