The Official New Boots Thread

I have gone from Carolina linemen boots (which are 10 years old and I still have), to Asolo's, and now to Salewa's. I still wear the linemen boots if I am going to be in hooks all day, but besides that uh uh. Asolo Fugitive GTX are ~3 pounds, Salewa Rapace GTX are 1.4 pounds.

51pAI5yGegL.jpg

Wow.

Where are they made? I'm due for a new pair of boots. I bought some Chipewa boots for this winter, they freaking suck. I'm getting a year out of Asolo Sasslongs these days, they are on my feet all the time unless I'm bare foot (and the bottoms of my feet are soft as a babies ass if that tells you something). Not against trying others. Those sounds interesting.

...not trying to be political or anything, but my Wescos were made in the US with union labor by a Company that actually gives a shit about product, quality, the Customer, and the Labor ... just sayin' ... you can always buy cheap Chinese or Korean crap with any tool....

Anyone tried Scarpa? My Asolos are getting towards the end of their life. I can get good deals on the Scarpa here so was thinking of giving them a shot.

Wescos are nice but I don't need to wear a heavy ass boot with laces up to my knees.

Hiking boots are all I really need, and have been using them for a while now. Lightweight, comfortable, basically like wearing sneakers on the job.:)

Local deals are best... The only hiking boot I ever got down with for tree climbing was the old vasque sundowner.
The majority of what I wear are Wescos. I have 10" for whatever. and 16" for spurs and whatever else.
I've never owned steel toed or worn them in my life...can't say much about them.

I just sent a pair back for complete rebuild, 260 for the 16 lineman.

Resoling them is 80 with vibram at the local cobbler.

Great shoes, great comfort, feel like moccasins to me....going on 15 years buying them from firelines to treetops.

I never wore whites but heard tons about them, they are related to nick's and drew's....
ex employees that opted out and started their own roads...based on an old road, Whites proper.

For years I always wore a pair of steel toe redwings but kept a shabby pair of sneekers in the truck for pruning. Now Im a yuppie I wear asolos for trims and keep the redwings in the truck..

Wearing your pants tucked in your boots turns them into extreme sawdust collectors, and like you said, it make you look silly.

Truth be told Meg likes it better. I leave a bit of pant over the the top of the boot and it keeps the sawdust out. BUT, when I get home my pants are nice and clean below the knee!

Thats a good point. It hasnt been to big of a deal so far though. Thanks again for sending them my way. I love em!

Alrighty then, who wants to watch a timelapse of me conditioning them?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Lm8JaIrbA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know you guys were dying for a repost of that classic!

You keep saying that! Polish would have been good after the Heavy-Duty-LP but using it before would have defeated the purpose.

Tell you what, as my boot-benefactor next time I condition them, I will slap a layer of black shoe polish on, afterwards, and take a picture of how spiffy they look! It will be like adopting a kid in Africa!

Hey I saw a picture of you. You aint no Schwarzenegger either bucko...

Hey little feller, don't be self conscious about yourself, embrace it.

I was taken aback by your unique pant/boot style. But as you said, your wife likes it, happy wife happy life.
You're right I'm not Schwarzenegger, thank goodness. Did you see what he was sleeping with?

Cheers, Skinny. :beerchug:

My feet barely fit in them, they could be tighter in the shin though, due to my already discussed slender build. I cant lace em down tight in the ankles without causing discomfort and then I lace the eyes closer and closer till they are near touching towards the top.

They might look a little mis-sized but they really do fit perfect. If I had em custom made I might have the shins tightened up so I could lace em tighter if need be but like I said they fit really well. My size 12 feet look like clown feet with my little legs most of the time anyway.

Back