Bark smells like Vicks

I know the tree very well. a prolific species on the coast here. Oh I can tell you some stories about them. Got to be one of the strongest woods, when green, I have ever worked with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
saucer magnolia Magnoliaceae Magnolia xsoulangiana Soul.-Bod. (denudata x liliifolia) Listen to the Latin symbol: MASO9
Other Fact Sheets

Leaf: Alternate, simple, oblong to obovate, 3 to 6 inches long, entire margin, green above, paler and fuzzy below.
Flower: Monoecious; large (4 to 8 inches) and showy, light pink to nearly purple petals, appearing in mid-spring.
Fruit: A cone-like aggregate of follicles, 2 to 3 inches long; matures in late summer.
Twig: Moderate, gray-brown, glabrous; buds tan and very fuzzy, flower buds quite large (nearly an inch); stipule scar encircles twig.
Bark: Smooth, mottled gray.
Form: Small tree to 20 feet, typically multi-stemmed with a narrow crown.
Looks like: star magnolia - sweetbay magnolia

USDA Plants Database - Horticulture
Magnolia xsoulangiana is planted in the highlighted USDA hardiness zones to the left and is not known to widely escape cultivaton.

saucer magnolia Magnoliaceae Magnolia xsoulangiana Soul.-Bod. (denudata x liliifolia) Listen to the Latin symbol: MASO9
Other Fact Sheets

Leaf: Alternate, simple, oblong to obovate, 3 to 6 inches long, entire margin, green above, paler and fuzzy below.
Flower: Monoecious; large (4 to 8 inches) and showy, light pink to nearly purple petals, appearing in mid-spring.
Fruit: A cone-like aggregate of follicles, 2 to 3 inches long; matures in late summer.
Twig: Moderate, gray-brown, glabrous; buds tan and very fuzzy, flower buds quite large (nearly an inch); stipule scar encircles twig.
Bark: Smooth, mottled gray.
Form: Small tree to 20 feet, typically multi-stemmed with a narrow crown.
Looks like: star magnolia - sweetbay magnolia

USDA Plants Database - Horticulture
Magnolia xsoulangiana is planted in the highlighted USDA hardiness zones to the left and is not known to widely escape cultivaton.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/mxsoulangiana.htm

That post didn't come out to well. Here is the site. Looks like a match to me. My son brought me one of the goofy seed/berry pods before someone cut the tree down. A local tree guy was there to plant a tree and knew what the tree that used to be there was.

It looks widespread enough where it should be fairly well known. I figured it was an ornamental. They are the toughest to identify.

Back