How do you sharpen saw chain?

Didn't read the whole thread and don't know if this helps, but we got tired of the high price of bar oil and went to using used diesel motor oil. It has properties that help cut the pitch and sap and is basically free. The disadvantage is that it is messy. Lubricating properties seem ok even in a production situation and the oil runs freer in cold conditions than bar oil, which you could thin with diesel also. Probably wouldn't be good for chainsaw milling.

Hi Pat, the problem with used engine oil as I understand it is that it is full of carcinogenic toxins, you'll notice now in garages it's never touched and disposed of carefully, when you use this stuff in your saw micro particles are in the air and you ingest it.
It's pretty nasty, now from a lubrication point of view I agree it's fine, used it for awhile when I was skint and had no problems. Then the whole cancer thing was
Pointed out to me and I stopped.

If you use pure canola oil with no anti oxidants added, you'll have to clean it out when you store your saws for longer periods or it'll gum up.

We used canola for a few years. Works fine most of the time, but there a few draw backs. Lubrication on longer bars wasn't great, and it gels solid somewhere between 10-20F degrees (for those who are in a colder climate).

I might switch to BioPlus for my 36" bars.

Be sure to clean your bar grooves regardless of oil.

Canola is way cheaper than a lung. Each bit helps.

20140327_110718.jpg 20140327_110549.jpg

I keep this cordless 20V 4.5" angle grinder in my truck for times I rock out a 36" chain on my stumper saw. This grinder takes only a few minutes to bring the rounded off corners back to square again, and I can go back and finish the stump cut, actually cuts not too bad with just this quick grind .
Then when I have time I finish off the chain with the hand file.......saves a lot of files and time filing on a rocked out chain.
Trick is not to blue the cutters with too much pressure with the grinder, touch on and off lightly with the grinding disc.

I'll take your word for it, Willard...though I doubt I have the skill to make that work. Just have to work with a file like the old school sawyers did, I guess. Which is what I am, I suppose :). Not that you are not, just that you are ahead of the curve, yet again :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, pretty sweet Willard. I've actually been trying to dream up a way of modifying the regular grinding disks on our shop's air driven hand grinder so as to be able to sharpen square chisel. I'm so sick of buying the expensive files. Sick of my saws cutting crooked too.:lol:

I'll take your word for it, Willard...though I doubt I have the skill to make that work. Just have to work with a file like the old school sawyers did, I guess. Which is what I am, I suppose :). Not that you are not, just that you are ahead of the curve, yet again :D.
Thanks Burnham
The intent of the cordless grinder is not to sharpen the saw but to remove the damaged part of the cutter and then finish up with the file.
Saves alot of frustration, time and files.

Yeah, pretty sweet Willard. I've actually been trying to dream up a way of modifying the regular grinding disks on our shop's air driven hand grinder so as to be able to sharpen square chisel. I'm so sick of buying the expensive files. Sick of my saws cutting crooked too.:lol:
Anythings possible Jed
I don't see any reason why a 4.5" wheel can't be dressed to grind chisel bit chain at the stump with a cordless hand held grinder.
If a saw filer can man a hand file why not a hand grinder.
Thanks for the input.

Anyone using a CBN type wheel on their chain grinder? If so, I'm wondering how you like it compared to the cheaper regular abrasive type wheel. Advantages? Thanks.

Yeah, sorry about bringing that previous post to your screen. Does MB ever give a new avatar to a banned member?

Which is better using a file guide or not? I'd use one to get the angles right, but would not using a guide help the file to sit lower and get more of a curve on the top edge of the cutter vs a very shallow curve if you know what I mean, Like what might happen if using too small of a file, but without using too small of one.

Back