How do you sharpen saw chain?

Jed

TreeHouser
A) Round file in vise or stump-vise. Both hands on file. (One on the handle, one on file tip)

B) Tailgate/Dirt/Grass/Small Branch Under Bar. Round file. One hand on file, one on guide-bar.

C) Cut vertical kerf into log/stump. Both hands on round file.

D) Kerf in Log/stump. One hand on file, one on bar.

E) Square file, vice, both hands.

F) Square file by some other means. (Please explain)

G) Grinder. I have no hand-filing skills. (Round or square? Why?)

H) Grinder. People who hand-file saw chain are either poor or else fools, because ground angles are more accurate/consistent, and time/effort is minimized. (Round or square? Why?)

Oh yeah... and what top plate angle do you like and why?

I use a vise, but I still only use one hand on the file and use the other hand to hold the tooth steady. Been doing it that way forever and I'm not changing any time soon.

Usually A, my vice is mounted on a shelf in the back of my van...
My variation is on the ground or perched on a log, saw between knees, both hands on file.

Top plate angle 30* because that's what Stihl recommends and it works across all the types of wood I cut.

I will use a vise if handy, but on the job I just sit on a log and lean over the saw. I usually file with just one hand, using the other to steady the bar if needed. I run square and round filed chain.

Round file on my lap, both hands on file. Than I flip the whole saw 180 for the other side of the chain. I've never seen anyone else file a saw the way I do. I tried and tried to learn other ways, but this works for me.

In the woods I cut a little groove in a log about half the depth on the bar .Then over the top,left right left .Both hands on the file .

Other wise sitting on a five gallon bucket with the engine between my legs the bar resting on the plastic lined tail gate of the truck ,over the top left right left .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Squish: So you grasp the powerhead between your knees for the right-hand chisels, and then grasp the bar between your knees for the left?

B for me, but that isn't very convenient all the time, too much moves. I want to switch to A.
But for the moment (and since 18 years), my wise isn't fixed yet on my bench::oops:
Moreover, it isn't a real bench, but an old kitchen table !
Perhaps I have to do something on this side:scratch:

I did all rights ,all lefts for years .I got the idea of over the top from first Alan Combs who sells plans for chainsaw mills and from Ernie .Ernie is the guy that rode Toms' boom to the ground a few years back when it broke on him .

Well the reason I can do better is because at least for me I can see and judge the angles better ,see the gullet better .Plus see exactly how the working corner is coming out .

Same as Squish in the woods but one finger on one hand guides the file while it holds the bar and one hand pushes the file.. Round file only. I use left hand for left and right hand for right on the file. At home I use the table and the Grandberg. I also carry a Grandberg in what we call the sharpening bag in the field. Just a small over the shoulder bag with assorted files, Grandberg, extra gloves and chain tool. Depends on how far in we have to hoof it and whether or not it is a job of just trees or brush. Brush I am not as picky with the free hand filing. I wish I had a vise and a bench. Soon as I finish stone henge I will ;) And I'll have a grinder too.
Someone bought me one of those very expensive Dinasaw grinders and one of the gears got stripped in it. I have yet to send it back to Baileys for repair. Only used it a few times and screwed it up in my learning or Robs learning curve trying to set it for rakers.:|:
As I approach retirement, I figure I will be set up do do chain sharpening for some of the locals. Little repair shop kind of thing. Then I can keep working when my body won't get up the tree :D

Normally the same as Squisher. In my lap and both hands on file. I'll use a vise at home if I have several chains to sharpen for someone.

B, with some variations. Usually tailgate, often stump. I have had a file sent up and sharpened the chain in the tree when I hit some metal while blocking down and didn't feel like climbing back up the tree. I file the right side first, then turn the saw around and sharpen the left....never got the hang of sharpening both sides at once. Depends on how dull the saw is as to where my hands are. If it's really dull, I'll hold the saw steady with my chest/knee/forearm/however necessary, while using both hands on the file. If it just needs touching up, I'll use a hand on the bar and a hand on the saw.

When I am in the shop I have a stump vise welded to a piece of 1 1/2"X3" rectangular tube that I clamp to my bench. I have a similar setup with a broader base for use on a tailgate when on the job and just use a plain stump vise when in the bush cutting firewood. I use a grinder with ABN wheels for damaged chain, and set the grinder to 25* with 10* side tilt on my 3/8"/.404, and 30* with no tilt for .325"/ LoPro. I also use the Husky roller guides and love them. I never learned how to sharpen square because I have heard too many horror stories or I am just too lazy to learn. No, I am sure of it I am too lazy to learn.

Well Nicks' idea is just a variation of over the top and seems to work well for him .However some of us old farts aren't nearly that limber .:lol:

I've seen people sharpen on their lap like I do before, but I've never seen anyone flip the whole powerhead around to do the lefthand cutters. When I do that side the powerhead is essentially balanced on my knees and the bar sticks back along my side kind of under my arm. That's the weird part to my technique. My way allows you to get your head down wayyyy to close to the action. I've gotten filings in my eyes more times than I can count. Lol.

Ive seen guys do that. I sit indian style, stick the power head in my crotch with the "blade" (sorry, couldn't resist) sticking up and flie left, right, left

Well now there you go Willie ,you're still young enough to sit like Sitting Bull . If I ever got all scrunched up like that I'd need assistance to get unscrunched .

OK then... more like Willie does not Squishy...

Al... I thought the same thing when I saw Nicks vid... I could not take that on my knees or back! Ahhhhh to be young again! :lol:

This is a subject i like!
I tried most way's there is and new as I learn about them but find filing is best in the shop, in a shortened bar mounted chest high in a vice.
Add good light and a magnifying glass and there is how I file.

I hold one finger on rider, one in back of tooth and file one handed. Shift hand or rotate bar/chain.

I take one stroke to clean tooth, rotate file 90 degrees so I don't push the crap in to the file.
Wipe file after every cutter, clean file when needed in gas.
When dull I dip it in Apple cider vinegar and blow dry after 3-5 min.
2-4 chains last a full day unless something happens. A file on gas/oil can if needed...
Rotate 4 chains on a bar and rim.

When cutting it is better to do that, take care of saw and equipment is better done at home.
Saves time and makes the time spent a bit more effective.

Back