One I think I'm gonna walk away from

Is the person that made the arrangement going to be taking some heat from the powers that be, because of the bad call? Not taking proper cautions to better protect a valuable historical artifact, seems a lot worse than someone using an outfit's computer to discuss and also educate on relevant and important subjects of major interest to quite a few people. What's going on there in the back of the class?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like a valid point, Jay. I'll put my ear to the ground and see if I hear any hoofbeats. If so, I'll let you know :).

Well it's an age old story of some no nothing SOB in a white shirt with the right connections riding herd over a bunch that know what they are doing .Usually no matter what the situation is the outcome is the same also usually nothing will become of it .

Through creative paperwork and political connects the whole thing will be swept under the carpet never again to rear it's ugly head .B will retire ,the barn will get fixed and the genius superviser will get promoted .

Wow... crazy stuff. Really amazing how the shack held. Bet the faller won't so quick in thinking he can just tip something with a pickup truck.... And better more adequate rigging...

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like it would take twenty years to not know that a pickup truck for pulling a heavy tree could be a weak link.

With my vivid imagination I get a vision of a skid loader getting flung like it were shot out of a slingshot on a deal like that .

Who knows skidloader tossing might well be an upcoming sport akin to punkin chunkin .

Some times I just can't help myelf .:lol:

It could be a good thing that the strap broke, otherwise the flying pickup should land in the front wall of the barn.
Just the little add which can allow a total structural crash.

Like I said that hit was on the strongest part of the structure,right on the wall .If it would have hit the peak that old barn would have fell apart like a two dollar watch .Then comes the weeping and gnashing of teeth .

What's done is done....

I guess leaving the structure damaged as is, the remnants of the tree covered to protect from rotting, a monument to stupidity for all to see and learn from, that would never fly with the FS.

Assuming the weight is within the pull capacity, is there any question that pulling with an implement like a winch or puller, or multiples of them, that gives small increments of slow measured take up at a time, is less stressful on a hinge or other parts of the tree, say as compared to using a vehicle? It seems that maximizing your potential against the possible failures is a wise thing.

It's all in measure, Jay.

I am fortunate to have measured my most important pulls of my career correctly. Though in lesser circumstances I have met my match a couple of times.

Oh what valuable learning experiences they were too.

I've come to dislike pickups for pulling heavy trees against their lean. The last few times I used a pickup on a heavy tree, I felt like I was barely squeeking by. Trees that are dead straight, fine. Backweight, I'm just not so sure anymore. I like a loaded chip truck in low range for the trees I encounter. I really don't kill monster trees daily. I did put a Deere 648 GIII to a tree once to pull it over. That was dandy.

As you seem to point out, Jerry, tree work seems like one of the more unusual professions, in that learning from your failures is often a big part of the work, and those failures can have rather devastating consequences.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can say that I have never pulled a leaner with a moving pickup, being fortunate to have (or maybe it is being smart enough to insist on being provided with the proper equipment for my work rig, and getting it, from better managers than I'm seeing lately :evil:) a heavy duty Warn mounted on every FS rig I've been assigned. I MUCH prefer to get set in a solid position, chocked and even anchored by the rear hitch to something really solid, redirects in place if needed...and then bring on 12k pounds of pull, multiplied by up to 4:1 ma. That's WAY more pull than a 3 ton 4x4 pickup can put to the ground via the drive train and tires. It most likely well exceeds a loaded 2x4 chip truck with dualies.

That said, I rejected out of hand trying that with this tree...I wonder if you can actually pull a chebbie in two right behind the cab :D.

It's all about the laws of physics that have never ever changed .If you had enough snatch blocks and a mile of cable chances are you could pull a redwood with a garden tractor .Of course you'd have to pull a half mile of that cable to shake it an inch .

Back