One I think I'm gonna walk away from

Thanks, big power rocks:headbang:

But maybe, it isn't a so good idea, the chopper has to be very high above. If not, the old barn could fly away with the rotor's wind.
Unpleasant for the less.

O.K. Bust her in half with the limbweight off the bad side, a Silvey in the back-cut and a pickup?

Yeah but if that thing is rotten in the middle you could lift that big boy right off the hinge .Run rabbit run .:\:

Felled about a half dozen decent sized to big spruce today with Phellinus pini. Wouldn't want to be yarding on them against the lean hard over a historic building. We were nervous about a modern restroom. A person would possibly end up with a big, broken stump and a big OOPS.

This scenario is somewhat familiar. I told a property owner, "If you move the work shop over 15 feet it will be a simple fell job" And that is what it turned out to be.

In the woods side lean scenarios are easy. Well, just so long as you have someone on the cat you can depend on..

Good call, B.

Yes, welcome. Probably budget constraints on bringing in a crane. If you follow Burnham's posts, such gets mentioned in his capacity with the gov't. I think it is fair to say that it is part of what he gets payed for, not bringing in cranes. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update

I hear a friend of mine sent some pics to another friend of mine and that they may show up here in due course...

Sooo...a certain recreation program manager with a propensity to shoot from the hip and skip some of the more logical, but perhaps from her perspective unnecessarily complicated contract oversight protocols, managed to hire a local "arborist" to remove this hazard tree. No experienced faller/rigger assigned any contract admin. authority. The arb until recently has advertised topping in the local news rag...just sayin'.

My sources say they climbed high, set a block at sufficient height to get decent 2:1 m.a. at 180 degrees to the lean, but the rigging gear (cable) was WAY undersized and worn, the block was ancient, without a closure shackle mechanism, the attachment hardware was sketchy, and the pull was to be delivered by a friggin' 3/4 ton pickup :what:.

Put some tension to it, faced it up and found SERIOUS rot, which they had not investigated one iota prior to this point, proceeded with the back cut anyway and lost the rigging in as yet an unknown to me way when they tried to pull with a truck that weighed maybe 1/30th of the tree. Tree went like a demon to the lean and landed on the barn.

I believe if the rigging had not failed, they probably would have lost the tree anyway, and maybe the truck as well.

Well, shoot...I could have done as well as that :D.

For a paltry $300 in wages the rec manager could have had me on site to administer the contract, and you can bet I'd have shut them down early in the fiasco, well before the saw came out, if what my sources tell me is true, which I do believe is the case.

Good news for the FS is the contractor is insured, and the barn will get a new upper structure and roof...all the rafters on the strike side are broken. Bad news for the contractor is it will have to be done with original period matching materials, all rough sawn stock to full dimension, hand split shakes, the whole historic restoration 9 yards. They could have hired 4 cranes for what the repairs will cost :roll:.

I'm guessing a few pics will arrive tomorrow..should be good for a thoroughgoing roast of that lame operation.

Not rookies, in that the guy has been in the game for a couple of decades, but for sure not ready for the big leagues, it would seem.

Haha! Glad I pulled the plug on my tree this AM or I could likely contribute to the pictures:lol:

Sounds like a similar situation, Willie. With no hingewood you can trust, all bets are off...and in some cases, even with a sound hinge.

Both this tree and yours are sporting some real size...no place for hoping for the best.

Not this time, but no promises for the future, my friend :).

Truly, that last fell you posted up the vid of was masterful. Kudos. It looks easy when it all goes to plan...I've been there, I know well the thought, planning, preparation, rigging, and clear comms it takes to make it LOOK easy.

8) Thanks for the high compliments friend. "all's well that lands well" as I said in that vid:)

Well, that doesn't happen by accident...not often, anyway :). Proud to see such skill in our field of endeavor Willie, proud to call you my friend.

The sort-cuts people take to make a few dollars are one thing, but trying to fell a tree with such lean, decay & important targets without even decent rigging.......... Stupid does not even cover it :(

Back