Back to the BIG ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On my way south ( west, rather!) from Willie I managed to reach Crescent City before nightfall.
That gave me a chance to finally sleep at the Curly Redwood lodge.
I've passed it countless times, but always in the middle of the day.
It is old, but lovely maintained, and to a woodworker, it is just a fabulous place.

P1000831.JPG P1000832.JPG P1000838.JPG P1000839.JPG P1000840.jpg

I figured you'd enjoy that:)

A slab of that would make a nice tabletop, don't you think.

In fact one of my big regrets is that I didn't bring a 6x3 foot slab of burl home in -89 when my wife and i sent our stuff home in a container.

Back then they were still reasonably priced if one bought them unfinished.

About $1500 for a nice one.

Today they are not to be found.

Nice lodge.8)

And that was a big tree.

curlylog3.jpg

I believe that in all the years that I have been looking at wood, the one piece that most sticks out in my mind was an unbelievable Redwood burl. Someone had a table out of it on some funky metal legs. :roll: Some deep color comes out of that material over the years.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Stig & Co. Sorry about the snow and cool weather. A couple of weeks after you were here it was over a hundred degrees. Amazing pictures.

I imagine that there is millions of board feet of good looking wood like that hidden away in wall studs along the north coast.

What a great adventure, Stig. My hat's off to you for your "Go do it" attitude and follow through. You have accomplished so many things that many of us just dream about. And you travel half way around the world to do it.

That is pioneering spirit if there ever be such. Rare today.

Thanks Jer.
But you were the true pioneer.
It was your exploits in the Redwoods that inspired us to come over two years ago.

As the great karate master Masutatsu Oyama said: Once someone has gone ahead and blazed a trail, it is easy for others to follow.

And I still can't quite get my mind around the fact that you SPUR CLIMBED them!!!!

Stig I just found this thread , what an amazing trip you had!! Please post more pictures.
At the moment my family and I are camping with our RV on a boreal forest lake ,no phone no internet not even radio reception.
I just came home to get some more supplies and found your cool thread.

Yeah I'd like to see some more of your pics Stig.

Flip line and spur climbing was all there was 30-40 years ago. Most of it worked out to traversing from smaller trees into the bigger ones.

I would imagine that the number of people who can flip line with expertise up the big trees has much dwindled in numbers.

True Grit and a lot of sweat, Butch. Both of which I would gladly have traded for a big shot and set of ascenders back then. It's cool the way it has evolved.
I agree Jerry. I have only been climbing for the last 12 years and just in that short time things have really evolved. 12 years ago the "new" bigshot was kind of frowned on by the throwline purists. At the same time the Blakes hitch I was taught to use was only around for 5 yrs or so I believe.
I know a few local old time line clearance guys who still climb occasionally but they have mighty sore knees. They have some nicely honed spurs though.
I'm sure pruning some of those big conifers in California with spurs wouldn't hurt those thick barked trees. Only trouble I could see is chunks of bark breaking away.

California redwoods are on my bucket list...maybe one day on the trip between Tassie and Bermuda...
Thanks for putting up the pictures, awesome!

Back