Back to the BIG ones.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
As most of you probably know, I spent a week climbing Sequoias with my two work buddies,Richard and Anders.

When we got to the grove where we planned to stay and climb, it was impossible to get in there, because the forest service had closed the gates due to snow.
So we went to another grove instead and spent 5 days there playing in the trees.
The plan was to sleep in the top of a tree in our treeboats, but the first night we got 2" of snow and for the next 3 days it would rain each evening and night, so we chickened out and found a room at a nearby lodge, then went out and climbed each day. Except for the last day the weather was cloudy and being at 7000 feet, we were in the clouds a lot of the time.

The trees were fantastic. Much taller than I've seen them in most groves. We climbed a couple that we estimated at 280 feet. ( When a 300 foot rope is to short to double around the first branch, one is in tall timber, indeed)

Those trees are really exciting to climb, everything is just so massive. We were so far out of our comfort range that we couldn't even see it.

But we did so much better than last time. Jerry Beranek showed us some tricks last time that really helped, also showed us how to maximize the height potential of the Big Shot.

Richard had a nice close bear encounter the first morning. He was disappointed last time that he didn't see a bear. This time he sure did.

He was walking around in the snow when a black bear came right at him. It didn't see him until it was about 20 feet from him, then it took off.

After a week i took off for Northern Cali to teach karate, Richard went home and Anders decided that he'd had enough of big trees and stayed in San Francisco.

I went up and spent a day with Willie in Oregon. He showed me around Medford and I helped him and his crew on a job. Got to try some of his gear out, so now I have to get me a pair of carbonfiber Geckos. Man, they are nice!

Then I went down to soend a day with the Beraneks. They drove me all over the coast and into some nice redwoods. We had a real fun time together.

It is really great to be able to go visit other Treehousers.

I haven't got any pictures from Richard & Anders yet.
When I get them, I'll post some more big tree pics.

See if you can spot the climber in this one:

P1000746.jpg

Stig, those pictures are great! Look at those smiles you guys have on your faces, it looks like you guys had a great time. :)

Stig, that is all SO cool...wonderful pictures...what an adventure. I still cannot believe how huge those trees are. More pictures as you can.

The climber is easy to spot.

Glad you had a great time on the non-communist side of the pond. :D

Looks to me like he spurred his way up and than topped 'em with coronet cuts. Lol.

Awesome pics Stig, what a trip!

Second picture of the third post is amazing, Stig. Super!

Totally agree, just a ridiculous photo.

Wow, what a trip- climbing the biggest trees on the planet, chilling with world renowned tree folk, teaching karate on another continent. You're gonna need a vacation from your vacation.

Got a few pics here of Stig's visit to the coast. I took a lot and only selected a few. One day wasn't much time to show Stig all the good things to see here, but we managed to see a lot in spite.

Those are some great pics of the big trees, Stig. You're doing good with the camera. IMG_4284r.jpg IMG_4300r.jpg IMG_4237r.jpg IMG_4276r.jpg IMG_4246r.jpg IMG_4296r.jpg IMG_4261r.jpg IMG_4184r.jpg IMG_4304r.jpg IMG_4157r.jpg

Thanks very much Stig and Jer. Wow. The perfect tree-guy vacation. Really well done with the Shots Stig.

Cool stuff, sorry we had to work rather than play:dur: But it was fun to work a little with you

Did Stig put any karate moves on you, Willie? Any mysterious thuds against your hardhat? Seems to be a man in perpetual training.

Stig did a karate kick on a dead stick to open a view of the big leaner at Hendy woods. His technique was awesome.

I have more pics of his visit to the coast that I will post later.

In the last few weeks Terri and I have met a lot of great tree folk.

Back