Log Dolly

I don't really know what you are looking for .That little arch I posted a picture of you just hook the tongs a short off the balance point and pick it up .Easy as falling off a log ,rather punnish use of words if I do say so .

A big arch you either balance the log or lift the front end and skid it out kinda like a skidder .You get the front up off the ground you'd be surprised how much log you can drag .

I figure like this with a good dolly set up.... I have have seem some serious poles towed as part of the rig with this simple set up.
Image_1087.JPG

The point is to use the mini skid and grapple as the tow vehicle so imo, the dolly still rules as the easiest use item:drink:

1.jpg

Heres how I use my log dolly now:|:

Does come in handy but with the equipment I have I seldom use it. Also kinda scary having a big ass log on wheels on any kinda hill:O Ever seen a battering ram????

A couple of years ago I found a video on the net where this guy from the southern Unites States built and patented a motorized 2 wheel log dolly with a Honda engine and Peerless trans axle with reverse and 3 forward speeds. It showed him moving big rounds of wood up a steep hill at a quick pace.
I'll post it when I find it.

It's a motorized log dolly. $3500 or $4500 I believe.
No that doesn't sound right. My Muck Truck only cost $3000 and its got 4 wheel drive. Actually the first Muck Truck that came out 20 years ago were a motorized 2 wheel dolly, then they evolved to the 4 wheel setup.
I found that fellas website advertised in a TCI magazine from a few years ago. A real nice lightweight 2 wheel motorized dolly for under $2000, nice for moving a can of stump chips and rounds from those little perfectly manicured yards.

I'm happy with my 28" wide 4X4 dolly, I can haul all my gear to the customers tree and back and then get to work doing some serious hauling.
Husqvarna 272XP 001.jpg

Attachments

• Husqvarna 272XP 002.jpg
    Husqvarna 272XP 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeeze, who invited the muck truck? What does a muck truck have to do with my log dolly? ;)

Really, KISS folks. I'm not looking to buy into more equipment here, I'm just thinking about salvaging some saw logs with a $50 home made log dolly and my mini loader.

Scotts idea is nice, although it's wider than I'd want, and I think you guys down south have all the golf carts tied up with the old folks.:)

I gotta wip something up, I think I have enough material minus the round bar axle.

The Jonserud Iron Horse has/had a bogey system I always wanted to copy the axel came off both wheels somehow so you could easily/easier slip it under a log.
then somehow the wheel brackets hooked on. it cantelevered the log up when you pulled and locked in somehow - cannot find have not seen that attachment for years wisht I took pictures

If you just want a simple cart how about this .Find an old junk riding mower with a forged steel axle ,not stamped steel and weld the spindles so they track straight .Weld about a 2 foot piece of 6" channel iron to it face up .Chain the log and lift the front with that mini gizmo and drag it out .If you want to be a junk yard dog you have to do a little dumpster diving every so often .;)

Just so you know I have the balloon tires from an old rider on my yard cart and I know for a fact I've had a thousand pounds of bricks on it already .

I think this is what you're talking about.
http://www.littlehelpercart.com/index.php/photos
Yes thats the cart. Its a well thought out idea. But won't carry a 16 ft long log what brendonv wants it for.
For a skid steer pulled arch I really like the LogRites "Gate arch", nice high narrow wheels , arch can be flipped over to make a bunk to carry brush and can also be converted to a dolly.
Rather then with a skid steer the gate arch is easy to dis and reassemble stored in the truck and I could pull it with my Muck Truck powerbarrow with 2" ball hitch.

There wouldn't be a problem loading it .Just lift one end of the log with that mini and slid the cart/dolly under it .Keep in mind though that if the idea is reclaiming some usable saw logs from peoples back yards you stand a very good chance of hitting tramp metal .Not good !

Back