Trailer Life

we were thinking tent trailer for the lower cost but, as it sits now, we have the option of using the hard side trailer OR I can throw down a tent and 'rough it' if I want to. I intention that the boy will be sleeping in the tent when he is 5 or so, he already did 2 weekend trips in it so its not a huge deal to him but his momma likes the more bed like trailer accommodations.

I hear ya guys.... but I have seen some nice used ones for about 1500-2000. I also want the low profile until the herd thins. Then I don't need the seating of the van. Last vacation we took both the truck and the van and all seats were full.. 11 bodies and the boat. Once I can have something like that and move it and them all with a 1 ton crew cab ...... ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A customer of mine has two of these placed on each side of a deck. They even have a loft.. I always thought they were pretty cool. Pricey though.
Cedarloft-Park-Model-RV.jpg

Those are nice! My next dream is to get a large flat bed trailer and frame a tiny house on it like the one in your picture. Working on this trailer has made me appreciate simple square construction...

I don't think there was anything square about this trailer of mine. And damn is it built cheap! The old roof supports were two by twos, which are weak to begin with. But when they ran romex through them they drilled a half inch hole or so so it weakened the supports even more. Most of the supports were cracked and the roof was sagging down when I bought it. I tore all of that out and replaced them with two by fours. Now the roof has supported about two feet of snow and I can stand up there in the right spots.

No, there is a house three hundred feet up the driveway. My friends live there, and that is who we pay rent to. $300 a month to park here, electricity (ran romex all the way out to the trailer), bathroom, and laundry. We do most of our cooking down in the trailer. Its a good situation for both me and my friends in the house.

Laundry is a big concern, for me: that's why I'd have a hard time in a tiny trailer. I'd want one big enough to have a small washer, even a dryer.

A buddy of mine in FL lives in the woods and has his washer out in the woods with just a simple roof over it. On the under side of the roof is clotheslines to hang the clothes. Pretty neat set up, but not too mobile. How often do you need to do laundry? I find that If I hang my clothes up they don't really get very smelly. But I do live where the humidity is very low. It was a different story when I lived in FL...lots more laundry chores.

I do LOTS of laundry, relatively speaking. I suppose I could do it by hand, with a plunger and a 5 gal bucket, but that would kinda suck.

At least two loads per week here. I did the laundrymat thing back in my 20s and thought I was finally getting somewhere the day I bought my first washer and dryer.

That washer is pretty cool, I am even interested in trying one. I keep thinking about building an off the grid subterranean efficiency, that would really fit in.....

I don't think I've told my laundromat story...

Growing up, I watched mom sort clothes and do laundry. Moved into my first apartment and sorted my clothes. Took a load down the sidewalk and washed them at the apartment's laundromat. Went back later with another load and moved the first from the washer to the dryer (just like mom did) and washed the second load. Went back later with another load and did the same thing.

This went on for at least 3 weeks until I saw a lady come into the laundromat and drop coins into several machines at once. She used multiple machines to do ALL of her laundry at one time. Duh, I'd never seen it done that way before. The idea never even occurred to me.

I was just using ONE machine at a time.

Go ahead, laugh all you want at me. I did - and still do to this day.

Washing machines, ha.

I used to help my mother do our washing, I think I was about eight before she got a Bendix front loader.

I could sit and watch it for ages, bit better than lighting the copper.:)

tub.jpg

My wife still washes most of our clothes by hand, even though we have a good washing machine. I've stopped suggesting she use the machine.

This is kinda cool.... Deco Liner

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GyU8eRHHEhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back