Trailer Life

Most travel trailers are not really equipted for winter living. Kinda sparce on insulation not to mention a method of getting enough heat .Run the heater wide open and light every burner on the stove is the only way I found to keep from freezing .

I was thinking I would try living there. Friend of mine at the time invited me out and put me up to make a go of it. I no sooner found a job, he went wiggy and I had to bail. Pretty there and the surrounding. I liked the more northern part of the State as well.

The northern part is nice but I think you would go a little batty coming for Cali to here. We have no mountains here just landfill ski hills and lots of cross country skiing.

Nice. I'd have loved to have done that BC (before children.)

I've been in this same house for twenty years now though. Amazing how much STUFF you accumulate when you live in one place so long. Thoughts of downsizing EVERYTHING are very tempting.....

Yeah.. I need more topography..
MA is my other "home" or at least where I feel home. Even though I lived in AZ for a little longer than MA, AZ just lost it's charm for me after a sort. It had topography as well. Just got burned out on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice. I'd have loved to have done that BC (before children.)

I've been in this same house for twenty years now though. Amazing how much STUFF you accumulate when you live in one place so long. Thoughts of downsizing EVERYTHING are very tempting.....

I feel ya! Not acquiring things is hard! It takes some effort to part ways with free stuff.

That was my first dream, but I thought about it and I probably wouldn't drive the bus enough to be good for it. The trailer lets me be mobile but not have another engine and drive system to take care of. One vehicle is more than enough for me...trucks are expensive...Period!

They were popular during the late 50's early 60's .Light weight ,no problem pulling them with just a standard automobile .

For that matter Butch with just one person you could get away nicely with a truck camper .I wouldn't go for a stand up though on a half ton .Tad too much on anything shy of a 3/4 ton .

They used to make and still might short truck campers that had a fold out tent on the back .Easy to set up and take down .

Thats the standard thing around here. Regular topper with a tent that folds out of the top. They're all white, not sure who makes them though.

Here's some shots of my rig. If we're traveling on the road I just put some 2x4's across the top of the bed of the truck then a piece of plywood that I usually have in the bottom of the bed on top of that...Walaa!!! a nice coffin to sleep in.:lol: In the first pic you can see the Thermarests sticking out of the back. Its really not that bad, especially when its 2am and you simply can't drive any further; pretty sweet to be able to pull over and sleep almost anywhere.8)

KY
CIMG1088.jpg
Northern NM
CIMG1135.jpg

Cool John, I think I should get a canopy for my truck, would fit the bill for basic camping too. ;)

Attachments

• P6050822 (Large).jpg
    P6050822 (Large).jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P6040771 (Large).jpg
    P6040771 (Large).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
A nomadic co-worker of mine in NV had a special Salvage Veggie Oil aluminum tank fabbed up for the bed of his truck. His lament upon installation was that there was just enough room to squeeze in and sleep. He had a longterm girlfriend at the time that traveled with him. Just enough room to Sleep, nothing else.

We often mix the two, Paul. The larger tent gives more elbow room, and if the weather is nice it's more pleasant for sleeping. If it's wet and/or cold, the camper is more cozy. Either way, using both gives more room to store gear inside when away from the campsite or overnight.

Back