Birds Galore

Cobleskill

Treehouser
I never have seen so many different bird varieties that have been around this year. Tons of Baltimore Orioles, Bluebirds, Flycatchers, Pilated Woodpeckers, Bobolinks. Even Ringnecked Pheasants are around.

My bud and I spotted a pair of hyper birds a couple months ago. I thought they were Dickcissels, but he says he has some other varieties he thinks they might be. Haven't got the book out with him yet.

I find watching birds around me when working free entertainment.

It's one of our favorite pastimes. Wait 'til Stig gets online again...he's a world rambling birder of the highest level.

Must say ornithology has always held an interest for me, but now since living on a river, myself and my daughter have taken even more of a keen interest in it. Osprey, night herons, cormorants, blue herons, king fishers, egrets and shed loads of duck/geese species......always plenty to look at! And geese are the perfect 'watch dogs', anyone creeping around behind my house along the river bank and the Canada geese let us know straight away!

Melanie and I had the pleasure of seeing an active wood stork rookery down on John's Island, SC during our recent trip there. Used to be commonly called wood ibis, only native North American stork species, federally listed endangered species now. Big suckers, 6 foot wingspan. Beautiful. Last time we saw those was in the Everglades back in the 80's.

Also spied a painted bunting on a friend's feeder while there; that is a spectacular bird, without a doubt.

Loads of others, those where just a couple of highlights.

Wow....I just looked up the painted bunting...I have certainly never seen one, very memorable.

Attachments

• painted bunting.jpg
    painted bunting.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That isn't one you would forget, for sure. I remember the first time I saw a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I had skated down the creek that flows through our property. A couple miles down stream it turns into a shaly canyon - now state park land. The bird was big, colorful, and impressive. When I got home I went over to my neighbors to ask the Mrs. what kind of bird it was. She asked if it had a plume - no, and went through several other varieties that I said no to all. She finally gave me the book and I went through page by page till I found it. Bought my own book. Got one for my youngest son for his birthday last year.

I googled the Rose Breasted Grosbeak, too...very distinctive also. I'd like to see one live.

I deadwooded a tree a few years ago...the folks had a hummingbird feeder below the tree, must have been 30 hummers around. It was very cool getting buzzed by the birds as I worked...they are curious, fast and friendly.

There is a small pond with a bridge right near my office as I was driving to work today two great blue herons flew right past my windshield, within a few feet, it was awesome..and good thing for me I was driving my truck not my bike!

I wake up to Indigo Buntings calling every morning, they look like the painted, except ALL brilliant blue. Very distinctive call. Check out this web site, I played with it for hours last year. Fun to hear the calls.

I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet this year.

Attachments

• indigo_bunting_frsm.jpg
    indigo_bunting_frsm.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 35
Indigo buntings are every bit as spectacular as painted, maybe just a smidge less flashy...right on, Che.

Hummers are doing fine at our feeders this year.

They are special birds to me. When I first moved to this farm and realized how much WORK and how little PROFIT there was involved....it was quite a revelation. I would often wonder why on earth we did it. Then I started seeing these brilliant blue birds...it was like a smack in the head...."OH!!! I GET IT!!!" :D

New born calves have the same effect. :)

I got on that site again last night, and for the past 45 minutes (I should be outside)...I've finally found out what the strange bird sound is that I've tried to figure out since I lived in Minneapolis in the late 70s early 80s. I lived right in the city, and I'd hear it there, usually at night....but I also hear it here, in the country. I'm pretty sure it's a 'Common Nighthawk'. Hard to see, but I did see it about 5-6 years ago....just a few feet from me, camouflaged on a limb.

The strange part of its call is about 3/4 through the recording here. Google is a wonderful thing. :D

To me the birds are very interesting .They all have distinct habits and mannerism .

Yesterday afternoon while relaxing on the patio with my favorite fermented beverage something went wizzing by me sounding like a small motor boat .There it was ,ruby throated male humming bird getting a sip out of one of the feeders .Those things are quick as lightning if they want to be .

That's a good site Che. I see pictures of your birds but don't know what most of them sound like.

There's an app here if you have an iPhone, not a bad site either has 800 bird songs.

whatbird.com

I named my business after Western Tanagers and they come here every spring and brighten things up. The bottom picture became my logo.

Attachments

• 2005-06-25-westan.jpg
    2005-06-25-westan.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 12504496047FX2D2q.jpg
    12504496047FX2D2q.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Logo transparent1.jpg
    Logo transparent1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2
Its worked rather well actually. I just didn't want to have a tree for a logo.

I am trying to get customers who listen to public radio, enjoy the outdoors and are willing to spend money on their trees. The bird gets them.

Back