FS C sawyer certification with Dent, 2011

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That makes sense, thanks for asplaining.

My bad, Butch...I assumed you'd know the effects of high levels of radiant heat on plastics not formulated to deal with that, but just didn't believe that firefighters actually work in conditions like that. Sorry.

You'd think chemists would come up with some type of heat resistant polymer. Hell, that'd be an excuse to charge more.

Hat's off, Burnham. Great pictures.

I remember, someone having a hold of your line gear suspenders,
watching the top of your burning tree, ready to pull you out.

S-212 gives a great fundamental approach. Definitely set me on the right foot.

You'd think chemists would come up with some type of heat resistant polymer. Hell, that'd be an excuse to charge more.

They do, Butch. Bullard's is the best known of that variety, though not every model of theirs is so rated. That's what all FS field-going workers use, a plastic polymer that is heat resistant. And you're right, they do cost significantly more.

At one time, the plastics offered better pierceing protection than aluminum, but the double shell models like Willard mentioned are their equal today. Problem with them for fire line crews is the absorb and transmit heat extremely well...not good on the fireline :).

As to the dented oldschool alu. hardhat Dent uses, he doesn't believe it's any less effective at protecting him than a newer, better made, undamaged HH would be...any more than he believes chain brakes have added any significant improvement in safety to chainsaw operators. No way anyone will ever convince him differently. He's also firm in his conviction that anyone who holds a different opinion is an idiot. He can be a hard guy to discuss things with :D.

They do, Butch. Bullard's is the best known of that variety, though not every model of theirs is so rated. That's what all FS field-going workers use, a plastic polymer that is heat resistant. And you're right, they do cost significantly more.

At one time, the plastics offered better pierceing protection than aluminum, but the double shell models like Willard mentioned are their equal today. Problem with them for fire line crews is the absorb and transmit heat extremely well...not good on the fireline :).

As to the dented oldschool alu. hardhat Dent uses, he doesn't believe it's any less effective at protecting him than a newer, better made, undamaged HH would be...any more than he believes chain brakes have added any significant improvement in safety to chainsaw operators. No way anyone will ever convince him differently. He's also firm in his conviction that anyone who holds a different opinion is an idiot. He can be a hard guy to discuss things with :D.

This is where experience and confidence spills over into arrogance and pig-headedness.

I always thought I wanted an aluminum hardhat until the day I finally got one; too hot!!!

They do get hot in the summer.

I've never worn a plastic hard hat, are they cooler in the summer?

I suppose you could get a vented hard hat but wouldn't that be a weak spot?

They do get hot in the summer.

I've never worn a plastic hard hat, are they cooler in the summer?

I suppose you could get a vented hard hat but wouldn't that be a weak spot?

I don't think so, if so the petzl vented climbers helmet wouldn't be on the market.

Bailey's still have them. We got one for each of the crew last time we ordered gear from them. Sets us apart from everyone else here, which is nice.

Speaking of gear from Bailey's, I believe you still have a bunch of bars and chain sitting at Richard's mom's place, Ed.

Bailey's still have them. We got one for each of the crew last time we ordered gear from them. Sets us apart from everyone else here, which is nice.

Speaking of gear from Bailey's, I believe you still have a bunch of bars and chain sitting at Richard's mom's place, Ed.

It finally made its way here about a week ago Stig. Thanks for your's / Kate's help. Must order a genuine MacT net time, I have a plastic eurofied version.

I was told on my first day of residential tree work to leave mine in the truck due too electrical hazards in the trees:( Sad day

So Burnham is there any non-full brim hats that you can use earmuffs and screens with that are compliant?

Burnham, would you elaborate on the reason for that skimmed face cut in post #24, the one with the yellow wedge sitting on the ledge? Thanks.

The MacDonald T has not been in production for several years. The Skullbucket is a knockoff from China.

So Burnham is there any non-full brim hats that you can use earmuffs and screens with that are compliant?

Bullard makes two basic models of hardhats in their Wildfire line, meeting the required standard, which is NFPA 1977...one is full brim and one is brimmed at the front only. But neither accept muffs or face screens. They offer an adapter for a flip down polycarbonate face screen, but I don't know if that meets NFPA standards. I've never seen one, just note it on their website.

Bullard is the sole supplier used by USFS, but that doesn't mean there isn't a product out there that is both NFPA compliant and accepts muffs/screen. I don't know of it, is all.

Burnham, would you elaborate on the reason for that skimmed face cut in post #24, the one with the yellow wedge sitting on the ledge? Thanks.

Not sure what you are asking about, Bob. If you mean the bark slabbed off at the corners of the face, that's to get rid of that 3+ inches of bark that makes dogging in and reading matched cuts difficult. Also favors reaching all the way across the facecut with a bar that's somewhat too short to do it in one go.

You know, I have what I feel is a really good library of reference materials on tree felling and saw work in general ( Dent's book, Beraneks book, Jepsons, numerous other resources), I've also studied under some really good cutters. Nothing, however, beats reading these posts and seeing these pics for the past few years I've been lurking around here. Class in always in session here, a lot to be learned.

Back