ChainSaw Collectors Forum is down. (Edit. Now running again)

Magnus

TreeHouser
Well, I guess it was bound to happen some time...
We got hacked and are trying to get it going as we speak.

Wonder why a collector forum could be worth the trouble??

Hey, you know your provider has your site backed up for the last 24 hours. You just have to ask them to restore it and the worse that will happen is you will lose the last 24 hrs worth of posts.

Ipowerweb does it... does YOURS???

I don't know if this has a thing to do with it but it puzzles me .On several forums it seems I have a PM notification but there is no way to retrieve it .I have one of these on Collectors .

Now why this concerns me is the fact that on several forums if you recall some troll was able to slip right past registration to be able to harass people with stupid questions .I wonder if somehow there is a relationship between all this ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a back up taken every 24hrs, so the answer would be yes.
I keep a back up for each week, Pontus and Totte do this too, so there will proberbly not be any data lost.. I hope...
We will not reinstall the same, we will start fresh and move data base to new. It should be less trouble than finding what ever way they got in and block it.

I don't know if this has a thing to do with it but it puzzles me .On several forums it seems I have a PM notification but there is no way to retrieve it .I have one of these on Collectors .

Now why this concerns me is the fact that on several forums if you recall some troll was able to slip right past registration to be able to harass people with stupid questions .I wonder if somehow there is a relationship between all this ?

I doubt it...
There has been idiots on forum for a long time. This is first time it has been hacked in 5,5 year...

When it got hacked my provider blocked site so it would not be shown and too obvious who did what.
If it is attention the hackers are after, they don't need to give it to them.
Good move IMHO.

The reason I brought that up Magnus is I wonder if some how a hacker could "hitch hike " in on a users password or something they snatched some how .It's only a wild stab in the dark on my part because I really don't know how this stuff is done .

I find it hard to belive they spend time and work to do it for so little....

It has to be something or someone that gain something of this?

Well as I see it now the only dameges done will be the mods we added to forum.
No posts lost. No info lost.
I like that a lot...

Good to hear! Losing posts ain't fun, but it isn't the end of the world. The good thing about info is that it can always be "re-info'd!

You outta moderate new members; that's what I do.

I've done that for 6 years now....

Losing posts for a forum like CSCF would be a disaster of great proportions. Lots of stuff that can't be brought back.
It is a dictionary for chainsaw collectors with valued info that if lost might be so forever... Like a virtual museum of saws from the hole globe.

A huge lost for all collectors...

It would not be what it is today if I kept dropping posts.
Nobody would put the effort in it that it takes to do a good artickle or post 50 saws in the library...
Some spend several months work on their articles...

Info is gone.
Saws are sold.
Papers missing after move, house burnt, divorces and all other kinds of things life throw at you.
Collectors passed on.
Collections sold.
Members lost interest.

Want more reasons?

One told me he lost the info in hurricane Katrina. So he has nothing to repost if something should happen.

Each member has a file here in my house with a lot of their attachments.
About 200GB of files...
Much sent to me to help them post for one or other reason.

CSCF is a quite different animal than this place.
They can't be compared.

Tree House is much wider spectra of things to talk about.
Not just what knot to use where with what rope.

Last edited:
Back