Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Level Stumps on Steep Ground

Theres an app for those
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Hahahaha...magnetic droid stuck onto saw bar..taking a call during the back cut would be interesting.
    Gary

Ha!
    Willie
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Quote Originally Posted by flushcut View Post
    And they did not fall the tree from the same side as they faced it up. I hate small dawgs I think they are worthless.
    That's how I know the saw didn't have wrapped handles, duh .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

That is an easy guess, though.
    I sincerely doubt that there is a single saw in this country with wrap handles.
    And the only guys here who know about them are the weirdos like me, who hang out with Americans!

If one of you can tell me where to find a pair of full wraps for my 880. I would like to remedy that situation.
    They would make handling that heavy saw much easier, I think.
    And it is the only one of my felling saws without heated handles, so switching over would be easy.

Bounce

Quote Originally Posted by sotc View Post
    Theres an app for those
    I have a clinometer app on my phone that I use for this purpose. I can just set it on the bar to get a feel for level before I start the cut. I don't normally bother with it myself though unless it's a stump cut that just has to be perfect. Normally I just rely on gut feel like everybody else.

O. k. I'm gonna' seriously out-nerd all of you guys with this one: (like that's gonna be hard for me) I've actually got two tiny levels (one for tilt and one for roll) glued to both sides of my 440's case. Afraid so. Yeah: I actually put a level on my bar, and then got the levels on both sides of the case to correspond with the bar level, and then glued em' in with some J.B. Weld. Of course the boys have a good, hardy laugh at me, "What the hell are you a chainsaw carpenter?" etc. I did it cause I seriously suck at falling.

The reason that I'm letting all of you guys in on all this geekery is that I'd really rather not resort to such contrivances and just learn to cut by feel like a normal human being.

Bounce: Super cool app. I might have to get one of them fancy cell phones. I've always wanted a clinometer anyway.

Husky D: Deeply appreciate the excellent advice man. Thanks. I actually would resort the the bore-cut deal you recommended if I were SO terrible that I absolutely could not--for my terrible cutting--get a tree into the lay. It's not like I'm quite that bad. I was just trying to solicit everyone's suggestions for how to improve one's cutting without having to actually log the long years of experience required to produce a work of beauty akin to one of Jerry's stumps. (I know, I know: mad endeavor!)

pantheraba: perfect joke about the magnet bar! HA! LOL. Etc.

Burnham and Willie: Yeah, I've got the mandatory P.N.W. setup: Heavily woods ported and filter modded big dogged 3/4 wrap. Don't EVER accuse me of not being a redneck. Still won't help you cut if ya ain't got the chops.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Sean, on a semi-related note I'd like to share a small piece of advice I learned a while back. When making a flush stump cut, always start on the high side of the stump. Otherwise you will end up cutting into the dirt, even if you think you can angle the cut upward enough to get it right. It's just easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by inbredJed View Post
    O. k. I'm gonna' seriously out-nerd all of you guys with this one: (like that's gonna be hard for me) I've actually got two tiny levels (one for tilt and one for roll) glued to both sides of my 440's case. Afraid so. Yeah: I actually put a level on my bar, and then got the levels on both sides of the case to correspond with the bar level, and then glued em' in with some J.B. Weld. Of course the boys have a good, hardy laugh at me, "What the hell are you a chainsaw carpenter?" etc. I did it cause I seriously suck at falling.

The reason that I'm letting all of you guys in on all this geekery is that I'd really rather not resort to such contrivances and just learn to cut by feel like a normal human being.

Bounce: Super cool app. I might have to get one of them fancy cell phones. I've always wanted a clinometer anyway.

Husky D: Deeply appreciate the excellent advice man. Thanks. I actually would resort the the bore-cut deal you recommended if I were SO terrible that I absolutely could not--for my terrible cutting--get a tree into the lay. It's not like I'm quite that bad. I was just trying to solicit everyone's suggestions for how to improve one's cutting without having to actually log the long years of experience required to produce a work of beauty akin to one of Jerry's stumps. (I know, I know: mad endeavor!)

pantheraba: perfect joke about the magnet bar! HA! LOL. Etc.

Burnham and Willie: Yeah, I've got the mandatory P.N.W. setup: Heavily woods ported and filter modded big dogged 3/4 wrap. Don't EVER accuse me of not being a redneck. Still won't help you cut if ya ain't got the chops.
    PICS!!
    Willie

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Lol.

Hold your saw level and your cuts will be level.