Level Stumps on Steep Ground

That is an easy guess, though.
I sincerely doubt that there is a single saw in this country with wrap handles.
And the only guys here who know about them are the weirdos like me, who hang out with Americans!

If one of you can tell me where to find a pair of full wraps for my 880. I would like to remedy that situation.
They would make handling that heavy saw much easier, I think.
And it is the only one of my felling saws without heated handles, so switching over would be easy.

Does your 880 have a 16" bar?

37" and then I have a 60" that I bring out once a year, maybe.

When I am wanting a cut straight across, I imagine the lovely Lana Wood. Would this be old skool?

Attachments

• lana wood sweater.jpg
    lana wood sweater.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No Willie: Inbreds do NOT understand how to post pics. My wife (not my sister) has got a great digital camera and everything.

Ahahahahahhahaha! Funny stuff. Pics are easy, if you can get them onto your computer, most any of us could talk you through getting them on the site in a few minutes

I remember someone here saying they had a small level that they put on their bar when they started their cuts...haven't tried it but it might help learn what level really is...seems like it would need to be a round level like this...magnetic would be ideal: :/:

I used a level on my 84 inch bar a few times, and aligned it to level by setting it on wooded dowels, that in themselves had long nails running through the centers I drove into the tree. Just two was needed to get the bar started without throwing the chain.

Yeah the error really shows up a lot just being a little bit off at the start. And like B said, how you hold the weight of the powerhead when advancing the cut can make a big dif too.

With a great long bar like that it would be a chore just to lift the nose heavy rascal .About like a bowling ball on the end of a broom stick I imagine .

Actually Burnham hit the nail on the head for me. I probably shouldn't EVER be pulling out the level with a 28" bar, but I got a lot steeper learning curve than you guys. Yeah, Burnham, you were 100% correct about my inadvertent torquing on the powerhead thus throwing my back cut off. Today, I took my left hand off of the 3/4 part and put it on the top of the handle bar, and the far corner matched up perfect! Watch out Jerry. (Just joking.)

:lol: Funny. Isn't it interesting that little details can make a big difference?

Yeah Willie: I'm thinkin' about running full-comp like you guys do, cause since I ported my saw and got the shorter bar, the thing just cuts so fast, that it seems like any tiny little bit that you might be off (angle-wise) in your filing is exacerbated by having fewer chisels. I can't get away from that darned double-bevel file, and, as everyone who uses em knows--they're a right bit trickier. They suck actually. I wish I were normal.

Well, there you go. Glad to see this info from others is helping out.

I would have given a real hoot to glean all this information 40 years ago when I was learning. No internet back then, no books on technique, learn it all on the job. Ouch!

Back