Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Level Stumps on Steep Ground

forestryworks

practice practice practice. ain't no other way really. muscle memory will come into play as well, but later. after you practice practice practice

Well said, young man.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Yup. Did a little better today. A LITTLE mind you. My trouble is now mostly just on the back cut when the case is "upside down". So: my left hand is on the 3/4 wrap part of the handle-bar and my right is on the pistol. What happens is: for the life of me I can't get what Jerry calls the "roll" right. Funny thing is: you'd think I'd be able to since it's the same darned error EVERY SINGLE TIME!

O.k. Here's the situation: on fairly steep ground I start my (horizontal) undercut--pretty good tilt, (level-ish) pretty good roll (levelish). Then the diagonal--always Humboldt since I'm the worst wanna-be logger you ever met--and, once in a blue-moon, it comes out half-way matched on my far corner. Now for my death-knell--the darned back cut. I start out with the bar (on my near corner) at a perfect elevation--about a quarter inch above the face cut (Humboldt, mind you!) Then I adjust the tilt--pretty darned well once and a while--and then adjust the roll to what I think is perfect. Start back cut, and cut up to near corner--perfect! (or so I think) Sweep the darned cut till my sight almost matches my lay and go around to the far corner to see how I did. Use disgusting language under my breath, and then ask God to forgive me all in the same breath. The darned thing is too low AGAIN!! So my roll was all wrong to begin with--pointed downward apparently.

Burnham! I know what you'll say!!!!!!! "Then roll the cut up higher next time." I do, I swear. I even get it pretty good once in a while, but I'll be darned if three or four days don't go by, and I find myself doing the exact same thing all over again. I Hate this trade! I love this trade. I hate this trade. I love this trade. Etc.

I really appreciated what Gord had to say about muscle-memory. I think I have muscle amnesia. Incredible shots though Gord. One of em' is our new screen-saver.

Actually sounds like you do have muscle memory...... that needs to be changed
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Yeah but they've got this stupid rule about not drinking on the clock.

Haha, what kinda lameo outfit is that!?
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Not Beaver or S.O.T.C. That's for sure! Darn it!

Jed, you may not be making any mistake in starting level. It could be improper technique in powering the saw through the back cut.

It's very easy to push the bar off line as the kerf progresses if you are applying uneven pressure to the handles. Look at that aspect of how you are moving through the back cut, make sure you are gripping in a balanced manner and not above center of effort. If your grip and point of pressure on the powerhead is high, relative to the bar and kerf, you will push the bar into a lowering line through the back cut.

With only a quarter inch of stump shot, it only takes a smidge of over-topped push to drive the bar under the far corner.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

forestryworks

Getting the humbolt diagonal cut to line up can be tricky at first. you gotta angle your bar more than you think you do, the "roll" axis as you said. The key to good face cuts is to stop cutting when the guns on each cut line up. use your sights. Then you can pop it out with an axe and wedges and do some muttering and cussing.

Use your whole body to help you level the saw, don't just rely on your one arm on the wrap handle to level the whole saw. Your trigger hand and knee will help as well.

Keep practicing. I still am.

And to add what to Burnham just said, try not to dog in until your bar is more than halfway into the cut - be it your face cut or back cut.

Burnham: Thanks so much. Really.

You might have nailed it, actually. I always tend to leave my left hand on the 3/4 wrap part as the cut progresses. I dare say you're right--I'm probably forcing it down somehow. I'll put my left hand on the top of the handle-bar and try to power through evenly next time. I bet that's it. I actually do tend to pride myself on being a good filer, so I KNOW my chains ain't curvin'. Guess the ol' muscles are!