The Official Random Video Thread!

Nice looking ranch. So often you see ranches that are run down and everything is falling apart. Your fences, corrals and buildings all look well maintained. How many cows do you have? I'm assuming you have enough range land that they fend for themselves as soon as the grass is high enough?

Thanks Buddy.

When I was younger I did not care much for tidy, but it means more now.

When my grandfather owned this place it was nicer, but he died in '98. We work hard to keep it up, and we are never finished!

We have 350 mother cows right now, and 120 heifer calves that we are going to breed and sell as replacements. They do go out to grass once its tall enough, but our pastures are smaller than the ones around central and western Idaho/eastern Oregon.

Fairly frequent moves.

Poor little bastards pop out into a world of frozen hell. It's amazing how tough they are. Have you had to pull any yet? I got the enjoyment of doing that once. Showed up to ranch first thing in the morning and the old gal that owned the place had a cow tied up in the corral. She said, "I think it's backwards, reach in there and feel around". To show her appreciation the old cow crapped right on my shoulder. I got the chains put on it and we jacked that little sucker right outa there.

Not this year, but we are just getting started.

Usually pull a few a year.

In the past 10 years or so the cattle genetics have gotten better, so the need to pull calves has gone down.

The calves now are born smaller but wean at an equal or higher weight than previously.

It has saved a lot of wear and tear on the cattle and the ranchers.

I have had my arm up lots of cattle! Used to be that you would have a cow that would not drop her after birth, so you would pull that rotten spaghetti out with your hands.

That was risky, as you are pulling it right off the "nodules" of the uterus, dropping a handful of sulfa boluses in there. Done improperly it would result in sterilization.

Now we can give her a single shot of antibiotics and she is right as rain. 10 mls is all she gets. Previous to that we used other antibiotics that took a course of 200 mls. Very stressful for the cow.

Warning! Complete Nudity And Sexual Misconduct!!!

Here's something you don't see every day!

Os63UKo.gif

Been reading about Joey Dunlop, the phenomenal rider that won the TT 26 times on every class of bike. Here's a good perspective of the TT....highly dangerous race.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OmNXCJt7K3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love these guys, no forgiveness for people that drive on sidewalks. :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BHJxIwvFIGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back