044 Big Bore Kit with 10mm Wrist Pin?

Check out the muffler opening on my 044... it's over 3/4" big, and is the stock unmodified muffler. They started chokin' 'em down right about the time they went to the 12mm pinn saws... then the 440's were choked down even more than that...

Gary

Attachments

• 044 muffler hole.jpg
    044 muffler hole.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks about like the same plumbing on my 066. I forget what the muffler looks like on this one. Probably the same. Been out in the shop a while and all I brought in the other night was mostly the case portion of the saw looking for the SN.

I know why Gary feels the way he does about the BB kits, and I can't argue a lot of his points. I've also heard, but not had it proven to me yet, you can get more power out of a stock cylinder than you can from a BB kit.
But I still attest, IF done properly, they can make a damn fine work saw! I've no idea how many hours, I don't even remember when I bought the damn thing, I've on mine, but I've never had a lick of problems with it! Freakingstang did a hell of a number on the damn thing, it does everything I've ever wanted or asked it to do with power to spare!

I do agree Andy... that when set up properly they will work well, and are a bargain from what a stock OEM P&C will cost.

But the time that has to be put in them to make them good, just seems like a waste to me. But again... that's just me... :lol:

Gary

Well, I probably shouldn't say, but he's not around much anymore. Freak made me a deal, he wanted to build one, really bad! It was $400 for a running 046, $600 for a running 046 with a ported, tested, tuned and running BB kit. We also, many of us the followed that right thread at AS, got to see it being built!
I couldn't pass that deal up Gary!

Pretty damn good deal. Figure the kit and the engine work would be more than 1/2 the cost. The rest of it the saw.. Snot bad at all. I can see in the numbers why you would Andy.

At the time, $600 was about the going rate for a decent used 046, it was an easy call to make!

Yeah, I'd mentioned I wanted one and he shot me a PM, I couldn't sell that MS390 fast enough!
I think the last saw he built was a 440 with the 046BB on it. I'd loved to had a chance to run that beast!
He's out of it now, burned out with the builder wars, burnt in love, and working like a dog. Sucks as he really did have a talent for it!

Check out the muffler opening on my 044... it's over 3/4" big, and is the stock unmodified muffler. They started chokin' 'em down right about the time they went to the 12mm pinn saws... then the 440's were choked down even more than that...

Gary

Went and checked on that 044 muffler... Yup. I can about stick my lil ol thumb in it :lol:
Parts came in today :D
Might have to do some tinkerin over the weekend :/:

If you want that thing to boogie take that Dremel and cut out the baffles and diverter..All you want left is the can with a couple vent holes .Oh it will get loud alright but there's no such thing as a quiet fast saw .That's why they make ear muffs .

I've got ears like a red fox and I've been around industrial noises most of my life .My wife however is damned near deaf or she just ignores me . Hearing protection is a good thing but I honestly believe that heredity has more to do with it than anything .

Back