044 Big Bore Kit with 10mm Wrist Pin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well... Two things..
It might be I should change the thread name, but then again, it answers a question some might ask..
second.. Looks like I have some time on my hands with weather and kid issues. Time to break out what the brown and gold santa brought :D

This is the box 044 that was cooked with a lack of mix I purchased here from a houser :)
I don't have a camera with a working flash.. Sooooo. Bear with me.
I ended up with two pistons as I was not sure for the price that the cylinder kit would be a complete kit. Nuttin wrong with having an extra piston kit if the price is right ;) P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010015.JPG

Cylinder looks like it might be salvageable if that is just all scavenged (?) aluminum on it. Felt like it could have a couple good scrapes in it, so I opted for ordering new and see what I get after I try to clean it up. If I try at all. Piston was pretty much toast IMO.

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 9
If you get some time you might try muratic acid or easy off oven cleaner on that cylinder with a 3M green pad .Stinks to high heavens but given enough elbow grease you might be able to salvage the cylinder .The piston is pretty much toast .About all it's good for is a paper weight .

If it wasn't so gouged up I'd say sand off the high spots and give it a go but I don't think given the condition it would work .

I got both pistons (1 OEM) and the cylinder and gasket for under 200 with shipping... ;) Piston hit the trash just now :lol:
I am going to try the over cleaner thing after I just redo the top end. That way, if it does clean up, I have a spare cylinder kit :D

Well... SO much for the previous idea.. Came with a 12mm piston in the kit. So I took the OEM and used that one :)
If anyone needs a 12mm piston kit for an 044, lemmee know ;) Mean time, I can just hold it back for the rings if needed. ;)

Carb was a tad dirty as was the boot to the cylinder. So I ordered a carb kit in town and they happen to have one waiting for me. Rarely will I not just rebuild a carb when I do a repair like this anyway. P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG

Kids blocks make a good platform for the piston when placing the cylinder.. Thanks kids :) P1010020.JPG P1010021.JPG

Gary, you can see the baffle is gone in the muffler.. I went ahead and ordered the muffler cover you mentioned earlier in for the 046 so the can will have two ports :D

P1010022.JPG

SO I am down to going a getting the carb kit. I have to pick up four bolts for the cover that I can't seem to find at the moment. I can't find my spares either. :/:
I think I had some helping hands today :/:
BBL :D

She's a runner!!! All buttoned up and dialed to run for break in. Pulls real nice through some pine I had out in the yard. Put my 25 bar on her.
Not as pretty as Gary's, but hey, She won't look to pretty after the hours I am going to put on her anyways :lol:
Sorry no video. Katy has that camera. Heck this one don't even aim right or always take a pic :lol:

Attachments

• P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 10
I hope the muffler pieces get here soon Brian. Be better for the break in letting more of that exhaust out. See if I can video it tomorrow or something. :) Katy won't be home for a couple more hours yet so it will be too dark by then :P

That saw looks great, Stephen. Needs an outer dog, or better yet a bigger set. And don't be a dummy and skimp on a 3/4 wrap handle...you hear me? :D Fine job, bro!

Those were my exact thoughts Burnam. I have one good larger dog off the 066 that will fit fine if I order the match. Might just go big dog all the way with the larger exit cover I put on the 066.
3/4 wrap handle is definitely a consideration. :D See how many ALAPs vs felling she does ;)
Thanks Gary. You've been a great help with this also :)

Any sawyer worth the title needs at least one real saw, which means a 3/4 wrap. Grub in the dirt to leave the civilians a short stump in their yard with something else...that 044 is a noble saw, don't demean it that way, Stephen :D.

Well. Finally got this one uploaded. Camera kept cutting out and I only had a small window between hail storms and Katy leaving with the camera again.. :lol:
Running a little rich into some pondo. I really needed to tie the log higher onto something too :P
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aqThrRBBRqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good deal, Stephen. Reminds me of the 460 I rebuilt a couple years ago for a buddy with a BB kit from Bailey's. His lean seized because he ran it for a year and a half without a fuel filter/pickup and every time you tilted it forward it would suck air in the fuel line.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GfvYQXAyQvk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That 460 seems to have the muscle. Looks like you had it good and buried in some oak...

Did you do anything to the ports?

Chain saw test blooper for a giggle :)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gfZS9cK8fCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seeing I had a bunch of gray pine to slay today... I thought I ought to get to it with the new muffler part on the 044.
Seems to have let her breath a tad better and I noticed some power gain.
Thanks Gary :thumbup:
I still need to open up the hole a tad more on the new cover.
Probably ran about close to a gallon of avgas mix in her today :D Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
Should be able to pump up the volume after running the rings in some more tomorrow. :)
Old can...

New can :D

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    653 KB · Views: 16
I've been wanting to put a big bore kit in my 045 super and my 056 magnum 2 but I'm no mechanic and don't know where to start or how to go about it could someone please educate me on how I should go about this

First off, I think it is advisable to get a parts schematic drawing, and be clear on what it is exactly that you will be replacing. It can also be helpful in the order of assembly if it is beyond memory and you haven't made sufficient notes to get the saw put together correctly. There are some points on a few parts being lubricated during assembly, and a few other things to keep in mind when rebuilding, so probably best to read up.

Back