044 Big Bore Kit with 10mm Wrist Pin?

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Ok chainsaw guru's. I jumped the gun and thought I could just put a BB kit on my used 044 I purchased used. I DID NOT order the kit as yet.
Problem being is that I am seeing kits for the 12mm wrist pin. Not the 10mm. My serial number reflects the older saw with the smaller pin.

So does anyone know of a kit with the 10mm??
Where can I get one and what not.
If there is no such animal, I will just put a 50mm piston and cylinder back in/on it. Still good to have an 044 that I can always have woods ported.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And of course through much Google searching.. Where do I find an answer from a couple years ago?? The Tree House of course....:headbang:
Stihl 044

Well... Unless someone has something to add......... I guess we go with stock. :dontknow:

Stephan, I have one of the first 10mm 044s and a newer 12mm 044 and the 10mm one has the 12mm beat power wise. More WOT rpm and quicker acceleration.
The porting on the 10mm is a bit different and the lighter setup has its advantages. After the 044 10mm got a good market share, Stihl then fattened them up to cut down on warranty claims from the owner/ operators from hell .

Willard:)

Hahaha.. Makes sense from the warranty point of view. I found some reasonable OEM replacements on Ebay. So a new top end is enroute :D
After reading the down sides of the BB kit. I doubt I would use one unless I went all the way with a tuner like Timberwolf. I will probably love the heck out of the stock saw. Then if I feel I want to step it up, I'll just have him port it and such :)
Been needing an 044 in the line up. Should fit nicely between the 036 and 066 :D

A well tuned 044 is a good runner as a rule .They take mods well but still do nicely with just a little muffler work if nothing else .

As we all know the 044 was the replacement for the 038 Mag .I prefer the former to the later myself but an 044 is nothing to sneeze at .Do it up right and you'll be well pleased with it .

The biggest advantage over the 038 Mag was the vastly improved air filter setup. It took Stihl until the 1990s before they finally put a decent air filter on a chainsaw.

The only thing cooler, is to put an 046BB kit on an 044, but I'm not encouraging that, and it wont work on that saw anyways.

I don't have a machine shop... I ain't gonna even start with those kind of mods.. probably never. I do miss some of my old shop stuff. But MA was a long time ago and is a long ways away. It all stayed when I left. Maybe when the kids are all grown up I will have more time for tinkering if I get a hankering :)

And if you don't have 3 kids hanging off ya... :lol:

Honey.. put the screw driver down please...
Son... stay out of the screws...
Please don't touch that ....
Hey ... where did my pliers go?

Really bad when you get up for a bathroom break or something and come back to a 2 year old and an empty beer.. I tell you what!! :lol:

My son was about 2 when we finally caught him sneaking around behind the couch and chairs at a gathering we were having. He was grabbing and chugging beers. He was pretty slick about being behind everyone. The party is over for you, son.

What about putting a latter style crankshaft in the 044. Ive never done it myself but heard that others have.you could then go with a 044BB OR 046BB.

Old Uncle Al might go on and on about how splitting a crank is no big deal, but I've never done it and IMO if the crankcase needs to be split then it's probably time to quit dumping money into the saw and buy a new one.

It's a PITA and I don't even care to get into it! If you want it that bad, buy an 046 and have it ported!
I'm with Brian on this one!

Oh my fellas it isn't that big a deal to split a set of cases .I mean for heavens sake I'm not a danged rocket scientist and I can do it toot sweet .

Tell ya what ,the next one I do I'll document how it's done with pictures in case anyone wants a reference .Now keep in mind though you have to want to be able to do stuff if to ever succeed at anything .You have the desire old uncle Al will show you how .:)

:lol: Oh yes of course it's a bigger deal than changing out a P and C but not so big a deal that those that can do same couldn't do a split .

By George I'll make saw mechanics out of the whole bunch yet .Stick with me I'll have you all farting through silk underware .;)

What passing gas or spltting a saw? Either one is easy enough .First test. Eat a reubin sandwich ,half dozen pickled eggs ,six cans of beer .Let us know how that turns out .No pulling the covers over the Mrs. head now else she hunt us all down like the dogs we are .Least not me being the perpitrater of orneryness .

Stephen... My 044 was built in 1993. It is a 10mm pin saw and rips circles around the 12mm pin 044/440 saws I have cut with. It also has the huge stock muffler opening too. So no need to put a dual port muffler cover from an 046 on it to make more power. It's a fantastic saw.

Plus I think the BB kits are overated junk anyhow. But that's just me. I would rather have a saw that has some good port work to it before I would even consider a BB kit.

Gary

I was happy I found that thread and read your take on the BB as well as Carls. Pretty much sold me on stock for the early 044. As far as splitting a case ...... :lol: No thanks! :lol:
If I really really need to fulfill a BB fantasy... I will just find an appropriate SN 044 for the 12 mm pin and go all the way. Or a 440 perhaps. Everyone loves these old 044s. I can't wait to just try it stock. And I bet TW could make a screamer of one if I so desired :D I usually like to have two of every saw, and eventually I probably will. :D Once I have a second, I don't mind sending one out for a little while ;)

Back