Pet Peeve: "Guide wire and medium"

Actually, using "to be" would be a tad verbose. The shorter a sentence can be, the better the sentence is.

I know a guy who says 'council' instead of 'console'.

"The impliment is in the center council"

Makes me laugh, more than it bugs me.

my mom in law says 'da nudder one' instead of 'another one', sure, english isn't her first language but she has been here for 30 odd years now...

my mom in law says 'da nudder one' instead of 'another one', sure, english isn't her first language but she has been here for 30 odd years now...

Can she say "V" or does that still turn out as a half assed "F"?

I have always found that the best way to find out if someone is from Holland is to ask them to say " visa".

No can do!

hahaha I can say Visa all day long buddy :P My parents do well also but they had english (also latin, german and french) classes in school, where my inlaws did not.

My mother in law however, not so much. So many European languages the V is a 'w' sound, I remember the first time I heard the term "bay ehm way' for BMW, made me chuckle.

Another way I can tell that some folks are European is the 'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' sound of French or the 'phlegmy' sound of guttural German and Dutch. Not that those sounds are limited to those languages. Another is 'eu' or 'euw' I think its the U with the umlout.

A lot of danes have that "V" turns to "W" problem as well.
When my karate sensei decided to join the UN police corps in The former Jugoslavia, he had to take an english test.
Basically, the higher your English score, the more you can choose between assignments, for obvious reasons.
So I worked him really hard. One thing I taught him was to think V8 before ever uttering a word with the letter "V" in it.
That must have worked, because he had the top score of those tested that year.

Funny, I always hear people say- supposevly instead of supposedly.

Doesn't bug me, but I always chuckle whenever someone says it.

Back