Running temp of engine.

I'm sure it's possible and has probably already been done in Stihl/Husqvarna test labs somewhere :)
The way they are miniaturising electronic components nowadays I doubt it would add much weight either and is probably a good way to meet EPA regs without jamming a saw full of unneccessary weight like they are doing with some of the strato saws.
Unfortunately the path the EPA are starting to head down spells disaster for any 2 strokes...

You can tell if a saw is starting to run hot by the way it preforms .

Actually in my little life that's more times than not when stumping .You're down in it with chips piling up so fast you can't keep the saw out of them and the damned thing gets hot .Not to mention trying to choke you to death with exhaust fumes .

You could cut all day with a bar buried and the saw won't miss a lick .However about ten minutes on a stump will heat up most of them .

Not to mention trying to choke you to death with exhaust fumes.

Expecially Castrol TTS. That stuff is nasty and flush cutting stumps with my 3120 is the reason I don't use it anymore. I swear my nostril diameter doubled from that gear...

You could cut all day with a bar buried and the saw won't miss a lick .However about ten minutes on a stump will heat up most of them .

Yeah that is hard work for any saw. The chips just seem to build up in the cut and don't clear as well. Put that log on it's side and all is good :)

You could possibley get some reverse reaction from a can type muffler but I doubt very much .

I don't think dust or chips ingestion is what does in a saw stumping .More than likely heat .

For that matter it seems to me that an iron cylider Mac can take more heat but that's really not what's at issue here .Besides that those old reed valvers suffer if they get too hot also .Just not as badly though as a modern saw .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately the path the EPA are starting to head down spells disaster for any 2 strokes...

I think the need for better combustion is here in environmental regulations and fuel economy.
Last I heard this was not tested in HVA labs, but controlled.

If they can test it out to work well, the optimal setting should apply every were. But just regulate fuel thru RPM will not do it.

Back