"Gehl Wars" Articulating Loaders

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt Yanmar and Kubota are the same like ed says big rival Engine Mfgs.
I never heard that part of the story, that Italy(Stefano) made them for Avant. Even easier to copy if they gave him the drawings.
The Finnish and Italian artys are over engineered, there specs are amazing for how light they are.

Andy, Joe six pack will have a hard time justifying the $$$ for an arty, when specs of a Skid are ~40% more. Withe the Arty you get fantastic visibility and no Turf tearup.
ASV good machine, but apples to oranges again

I know Dave, I was just trying to see if we could come up with some selling points to make the Artics more appealing. I'm not trying to bash on them, I promise!

No worrys of bashing here

There are only 2, great visibility and NO TURF damage ~~~ thats all you get, for my Tree company it was enough

A guy I work for who has a Bobcat is constantly whining about having to repair stuff that he's backed into with his machine. He always makes it right for the customer but you can imagine that it must cost him some repeat business. What he spends in repairing his screwups would easily cover the difference in payments for the articulating machine.

It would be about the same payment Brian, the problem is people aren't going to be able to see the benefits of these machines vs the cost. The stigma is going to be "Well if I get a skidsteer I can do this and this, and it will lift more for the same money as that little toy you are trying to get me to buy!"
Much like a lot of people still laugh when they see my mini on the trailer when I'm getting gas or traveling. "What are you going to do with that little damn thing?" My first reply shuts them right up, "I'm not going to use a shovel to clean out a horse stall!"

I doubt Yanmar and Kubota are the same like ed says big rival Engine Mfgs.
I never heard that part of the story, that Italy(Stefano) made them for Avant. Even easier to copy if they gave him the drawings.
The Finnish and Italian artys are over engineered, there specs are amazing for how light they are.

Andy, Joe six pack will have a hard time justifying the $$$ for an arty, when specs of a Skid are ~40% more. Withe the Arty you get fantastic visibility and no Turf tearup.
ASV good machine, but apples to oranges again

It supposedly started for the Italians when Avant ran out of cash to pay their bills. They hit a real bad patch cashflow wise a while back - I know this was true cause they closed the UK dealership at the time. The other thing is that somehow, Stefano owned the rights to the machine design. Avant took them to court and lost, and thats why Avant had to change their designs (monoboom type) and Multione continued making the type and selling it under the boxer name etc.

That was the story I got anyhow.

Have you seen these Dave? -
http://www.norcar.com/norcar/miniloaders_en.html
The spec and manoeuvrability is pretty awsome
http://www.youtube.com/user/NorcarGroup
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/neF6cCqpBXU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3GcYcmvrv2o" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I like the idea of having the seat on the back half of the machine. If the seat is on the front half, you have to constantly be aware of the swing radius and you also have to keep looking to see where the back half of the machine is. With your ass on the back half, you know the back of the machine is always x far away from your seat.

Good eye Brian on the seat on/over the engine, the Finns and Italians seat swings outside of the turning Radius.
The Norcar and the American Gehl AL 140 you sit over the engine, gets you in tighter places.

ED, that little 755 machine is a beaut! only ~ 1800#s! Tipping 1100#s !
Do you know what that little guy costs? What is the comparable Avants cost
The Euros got the shit when it comes to the baby articulting machines.

The coolest Mini mini arty in America is the stand on Ditchwitch Zahn.
Not a sit down but under 36" wide, optional Duals -
I would be hard pressed to buy any mini skid over the Zahn if I was to get back into day today Production again,
think I would go with Norcar though if I could get my hands on one of those better lift and my lazy ole butt can sit down

CARL help !!! Can you translate metric speak, I mean specs

The Zahn has fair lift height (63" to the pin), but the lift capacity sucks massively (800lb tipping load). The Thomas has more lift capacity although slightly less lift height (best I remember on the height). Of the two, I'd take the Thomas. Its front end is light enough to keep the turf damage to a minimum.

The Boxer 427W has an extra 7" over the Zahn and has an 1800lb tip capacity.

The Zahn does have a swift ground speed at 5.9mph in high range, but its light weight (1300lbs+ 375 for the loader "attachment") means it's going to suck hairy ones for pulling loads. Remember you can't steer an articulated unit when it's on its front axle.

Strength, weight, or compactness. Pick two, no loader can break the laws of physics.

That's a bit over simplified. Distances from the front tire matter significantly, 6-700 lbs on firm level or up hill terrain is about it.

All the Gehl's are available with a folding 2 post ROPS or a 4 post canopy. The 340 and 540's can also come with a cab. Last I knew, they were still working on adding AC to them.

A Tree guy just posted a Vid of his Zahn, the only under 36" wide articulating machine I know of plus duals when needed.
pretty slick little no turf damage machine

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/24LgDmnzORU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back