DMM is over rated!

Way I see it, if you go over the 1/2 or 5/8ths rigging line and are using 3/4 - 1", you best be accessing the tree as your definite weak link in the system.. :lol:

Way I see it, if you go over the 1/2 or 5/8ths rigging line and are using 3/4 - 1", you best be accessing the tree as your definite weak link in the system.. :lol:

Yep, and with the new DMM blocks being 200 and 300 KN MBS...they will def. NOT be the weak link ;P :)

I thought this video was informative even though I do not have one of those fancy blocks. The last shot of the hitch climber was insightful as well.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UDIQ0pcD3OY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yup, that hauling system function of the Hitchclimber is slick. I've only used it a couple of times, but it sure is fun to deploy...always there, rigged to go.

Ok, I have to be honest and say that I was going to post this on TB because it seems like many more people over there go on and on about how great DMM products are, but I figured I would get crucified over there. So I thought I would post it here and see about having a conversation that I survive.

Having said that, what the heck is all the hub-ub about DMM? I know they have some cool looking products that are very Euro, but I really have a hard time believing they are worth the money. I will concede that if you like their biners, you may be willing to spend a few extra bucks on them. I dont think there is any chance in hell that anyone could convince me that their Impact blocks are so much better than my ISC spring block, or even my $75 CMI block that I just got. And how about all of those rigging hubs and different sized rings? I really have no idea how to use those things and even if I did, would they really save any time, money, or increase safety? Maybe so, but then I would like to have somebody explain to me how and then why someone would pay $115 for it.

Does anyone else agree with me that this stuff is just really popular right now because it is new and really for no other reason?
i buy most of my kit from dmm the blocks are great the reason you pay so much is due to shipping there mad in wales uk . isc is crap especially the blocks the bottom pin on the block is only held in by a split pin !

Welcome Riversarb. I’m disappointed I will probably never need/get to buy those DMM impact blocks. I have enough blocks for work now. And then with the X Rigging Ring coming out and making it so I can do most rigging work without blocks.... I just don’t think I will ever need to buy more. Maybe I’ll bookmark that promotional vid and watch it again sometime.

x rigging ring

was thinking of them they look good where can i get them ?can you buy just the rings?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started this thread 2 1/2 years ago and my feelings are not much different. I admit, I own several DMM products and I really like them all. I still think that DMM has an over hyped reputation. What I am getting at.... are all of the added "features" necessary on the DMM products. Take the blocks as an example. Has there been a problem with other block manufactures causing lots of rope damage due to the sharper edges? I know sharp edges are not good and smoother, rounder edges are better, but was there a problem to begin with?

The "hot forged" thing.... does that make any real world difference to a carabiner? Petzl biners are not hot forged and they have served me well for many years.

I am not as negative on DMM now as I used to be. I would put DMM near the top in terms of quality and innovation but some people talk like DMM is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I just dont know if they are THAT good.

... I know sharp edges are not good and smoother, rounder edges are better, but was there a problem to begin with?

Yep. I once had a new rope come out of the ISC block at a far-from fair angle. As the piece was lowered, it shaved lots of fuzz off the piece. My fault, yes, for using the rope placement anyways- but with a smoother block it wouldn't have happened.

The "hot forged" thing.... does that make any real world difference to a carabiner? .

Hell no. No use would know the difference in the finished product. I fully 100% believe that is just sales jargon. Another company could say, "COLD FORGED ONLY FOR LIFE" and I'd be like, "good- I hate when people be hot forging shit"

I like when they push their actual tangible features. Spare me the hot BS.

The rounded edges are sweet, one wonders why other mfgrs don't round the edges on their blocks. I have CMI and had to round the edges myself, and after that, great product, bulletproof and not costly.

My CMI stainless, I am just careful to set my blocks so they hang right to the line. Never had issues nor did I have to round them.
Want a couple of those DMM though. Maybe next year. I have plenty of gear to get the job done and rope needs retired and replaced first.

The anodizing of their green rings make what looks like hairline fractures around the ring.

Check yours really closely and see if I'm wrong.

Not a big fan of their rings but I like some of their other stuff.

They could also move to a key gate on their steel biners.

Back