DMM is over rated!

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Ok, I have to be honest and say that I was going to post this on TB because it seems like many more people over there go on and on about how great DMM products are, but I figured I would get crucified over there. So I thought I would post it here and see about having a conversation that I survive.

Having said that, what the heck is all the hub-ub about DMM? I know they have some cool looking products that are very Euro, but I really have a hard time believing they are worth the money. I will concede that if you like their biners, you may be willing to spend a few extra bucks on them. I dont think there is any chance in hell that anyone could convince me that their Impact blocks are so much better than my ISC spring block, or even my $75 CMI block that I just got. And how about all of those rigging hubs and different sized rings? I really have no idea how to use those things and even if I did, would they really save any time, money, or increase safety? Maybe so, but then I would like to have somebody explain to me how and then why someone would pay $115 for it.

Does anyone else agree with me that this stuff is just really popular right now because it is new and really for no other reason?

I was always happy sticking with Petzl biners and CMI steel blocks, never could figure out why I should use an aluminum block for impact rigging.

You can get crucified right here, too:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hKDUDD2ST30?fs=1&hl=da_DK"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hKDUDD2ST30?fs=1&hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The only thing I have of theirs is the HC Pulley. I really do love the thing. I think it was worth the money to have in my kit. You won't see me spend that kind of money on a block that looks cool. I would rather the CMI and pretty much prefer steel blocks and pulleys for rigging. I would hate to think how one might damage aluminum with a drop from 60 plus feet into rock or concrete.:\:
I know I know. We are not supposed to drop them.. But seriously.. It will eventually happen. Could you trust that cool looking aluminum block after an impact like that.. I won't. I believe you get more bang for the buck in SS also?
Weight wise.. A consideration for some people.

I presume you have seen this vid? If not then the block takes some abuse here without so much as a scratch. It is also worth noting that the rated capacity of the DMM block is much higher than any equivalent product, and the bend radius of the sling attachment point is much bigger also. Having said that, I dont think I have ever come close to exceeding the SWL of any other rigging block, and since I hardly ever rig anyway, I wont be buying one any time soon.

I have one DMM 'biner. It works as advertised...............Nice company, innovative products.................and I really don't get too fizzed about them. Some of my favorite rigging gear is from CMI and Black Diamond....not to mention the brand disremembered steel 'biners that take care of most of my rigging needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot about the HC being a DMM product. That is one fine product that I would not want to climb without again.

the have great marketing........

dmm does make some itty bitty climbing slings wich rule.

Maybe on an extra cash day, I like the toughness and the looks of those blocks

I have one sitting in a box in my office as I write this.
Richard ordered it from England before leaving for New Zealand and put my adress on it.
I'll probably unpack it and fondle it a bit, maybe even sleep with it for a night or two, but I'll leave it for himself to break in at work.

Sure is a pretty design:)

Always like ISC stuff myself, then had a dodgy couple of Boa's so just reassured my feelings.

Not so advanced as needing a HC either so guess Im stuck in a rut:roll:

I have one sitting in a box in my office as I write this.
Richard ordered it from England before leaving for New Zealand and put my adress on it.
I'll probably unpack it and fondle it a bit, maybe even sleep with it for a night or two, but I'll leave it for himself to break in at work.

Sure is a pretty design:)

Are you going to buy it dinner first?

I forgot to ask what size block he got Stig.....

MBS 300kN
WLL 60kN
Max rope dia 20 mm.

Or in other words: the big one

DMM_Impact_Block_Lg__19352_zoom.jpg

Heavy as hell, I'm not looking forward to dragging it up a tree.

When I saw the purple hub thing a couple years ago my thought was "damn it looks good, but what the hell is it for."

emr- I agree with you. The hitch climber is amazing. I personally love their carabiners, but some of their things have me baffled. Maybe they are above me?

I think they make the best friction saver rings out of anyone out there...

The Hitchclimber is an awesome device, and their carabiners are top notch. Best out there imo. No one can top them.

The rings are great, like Nick said. I would trust my life to a DMM ring in a heart beat.

As for some other devices, like the new blocks and the rigging hub, they have their place. DMM is the leading innovator in climbing and rigging technologies right now I believe, much like Don Blair and Ed Hobbs were back in the day. The new devices have their place in todays work place, because so many new techniques have been thought of and invented, and old techniques improved.

Well said, Adrian
The next generation of treeclimbers ( you) will most likely see some big changes in gear. Just look at hopw fast SRT has evolved.
Be hard for us old stick in the mud types to keep up:lol:

The Hitchclimber is an awesome device, and their carabiners are top notch. Best out there imo. No one can top them. The rings are great, like Nick said. I would trust my life to a DMM ring in a heart beat.

I tend to agree with you Adrian, than DMM makes higher quality equipment than most other manufacturers. My only problem with this opinion is that I'm not 100% sure why I feel this way. Part of it is just because I've held their products in my hands. It's just obvious from holding and looking at them that they're a higher quality product than most. DMM makes some awfully shiny and impressive looking gear. But I don't really know how this translates into identifiable tangible differences. For example, how are their testing standards better than anybody else's? Have they ever had a product recall, and if so how did they handle it? Do the products actually last longer or work better as a result of being better engineered in some way? These are the kinds of things that I should be able to point to to back up my opinion, but I can't. Which leaves me wondering if maybe my opinion is primarily the effect of a good marketing campaign.

Back