Running

Not of you want a cardiovascular workout, it can't.

That's unlikely to get your heart rate into the aerobic zone though. A month ago, a fast walk was enough to do that for me. Then it was walk - run - walk - run. Now its run - run- run - walk - run.

When I say walking, I mean POWER WALKING, which accomplishes the same thing, only safer. I didn't know I had to spell it out.

I wasn't aware that I could get walking wrong. Whilst I don't disagree that long term running can have adverse effects on the joints etc, running takes a greater amount of effort than walking.

It's easy to get walking wrong when you're shooting for an aerobic goal. It's no casual stroll. I can easily hit 150 BPM, no problemo. I'll be doing my 5 in a couple hours.

there is no way Walking, even power-walking; can get your heart rate to where running can ;)

C'mon up Butch, We'll run some trails that are up and down with elevation changes of a couple hundred feet every 1/4 mile or so.

I have power hiked them, and it is nowhere the workout running them gives me ;)

and humans were meant to run, it is the enormously cushioned shoes that manufacturers push on us that will hurt you, hence the trend now to more minimal shoes, more trail running and even barefoot running. We evolved to run folks, it is why we are built like we are and can sweat to keep cool :) so running is not BAD for us, running in the wrong footwear is.

I've read exactly the same thing Cary, particularly on the cushioned shoes. I have a pair of reebok trail shoes, minimal cushioning, plenty of grip. Mostly I've been running / training on a treadmill, as its in the gym, I do 20 - 25 minutes, then an hour of weights. I want to get out trail running though.

On my treadmill the incline is set to max, outside walking I wear a backpack with 20 lbs in it. My speed is as fast as I can go, which on the treadmill = about 3.5 mph.

Running's a young man's game.

there is no way Walking, even power-walking; can get your heart rate to where running can

Of course not, but who's to say that's a safe range for a non young-man? There's no way I'm gonna pull an Issac Hayes.

That's interesting...I see a lot of treework that needs to be done when I take my grandson on a bike ride. Here is my son getting him used to first bike ride (we have a helmet for him now).

Attachments

• IMG_4283-1.jpg
    IMG_4283-1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4
Did a 17.3 miler yesterday am, cold, NE winds, raining, was frozen by the time I got home, my longest run ever though :) might squirt a quick 5 miler in today later on if I feel like getting wet, still raining up here........:(

Back