Running

Depends on when you go to bed, Deva. Your body needs sleep, for me, getting up at 5 would mean going to bed between 9-10.

azy4ydav.jpg

Do you shoot for a pace when running? A distance? Or a Heart rate? I can run, but I am starting to think my inhibitor to long distance is that I need to slow down. I get the feeling I am too anaerobic in what should be an aerobic activity. I just did a 4 mi run too, but my pace was 8:45 min/mi. At 4 miles, I hit a wall. The farthest I can go without hitting a wall is 7 miles. There again, this is at 8 mi/min.

I am going to get a heart rate monitor and see if that helps me slow down and pace better.

I see talk here of calories and weight loss. Running isn't the way to do it. You burn far more calories doing anaerobic strength training in a gym than you can on the running trail.

I don't have the monopoly on the google my brother.

Cardio only burns while you are doing it. Weight lift and you burn calories while you watch TV and sleep.

Well, I do agree that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn... period. But if I want to lose weight, I'm on the treadmill, not pumping iron.

...and you're not losing weight as fast as if you were pumping iron.

Aerobic training is for somebody to get fit enough to do anaerobic training.

1st is diet. Diet will do more than anything.

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn’t result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Thirty-six sessions of up to 50 minutes is a lot of work for one additional pound of fat loss. However, the addition of resistance training greatly accelerated fat loss results.

These are the lessons I’d take from this: what you eat is the most important thing when it comes to weight loss, aerobic training helps but not nearly as much as you’d think, and weight training when combined with the two is the most effective method to dropping pounds.

Do you shoot for a pace when running? A distance? Or a Heart rate? I can run, but I am starting to think my inhibitor to long distance is that I need to slow down. I get the feeling I am too anaerobic in what should be an aerobic activity. I just did a 4 mi run too, but my pace was 8:45 min/mi. At 4 miles, I hit a wall. The farthest I can go without hitting a wall is 7 miles. There again, this is at 8 mi/min.

I am going to get a heart rate monitor and see if that helps me slow down and pace better.

I see talk here of calories and weight loss. Running isn't the way to do it. You burn far more calories doing anaerobic strength training in a gym than you can on the running trail.

I just run is the current thing. My pace is set by trying to keep my breathing where could still carry on some semblance of a conversation. When I can't run any farther, I walk until I can run again. In times past, after I build up the wind capacity the limiting factor is my leg muscles getting tight.

I track the calories, time, and distance because it's a function of the app and thus is quite simple to log.

I have compared times on the same run to monitor my progress. Yesterday I ran 3.1 miles (5k) in 33:39; on the 30th, I ran 4.03 miles in 47:17. The 3.1 mile pace was 52 seconds faster than the 4 mile pace. The extra mile was on a level track, still had the same hill at the end (apt down to the river, along the River Walk, and back to the apt).

On the same 1.78 mile route, the runs a week apart, I cut 1:34 minutes off my total time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The farthest I can go without hitting a wall is 7 miles. There again, this is at 8 mi/min.

You just need to slow down a bit, it took me almost two years of running to figure this out.

Try doing whats called 'negative splits'. go easy for the first half of your run. in your case try to run high 9's to low 10's, then settle into a faster (your normal high 8's) pace for the second half. You will be amazed at how much further you can go.

And there ya go.

Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn’t result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Yes, there I go, basically running didn't make squat for difference, but lifting did. That was your point, right?

Greg, I am going to try adjusting pace before doing anything like heart rate monitoring. I feel really fit but yet am bummed that a half marathon seems so out of reach.

Carl, good on you for getting running. I love all the apps and data. My running has increased since I have had more form of feedback than just time and distance. Feedback is the breakfast of champions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg, I am going to try adjusting pace before doing anything like heart rate monitoring. I feel really fit but yet am bummed that a half marathon seems so out of reach.

I was thinking more about pace last night. For me, I was used to running in what I would call an athletic stance. Probably from years of playing sports where transitioning from jogging to sprinting are the norm.(football, basketball,soccer,etc) You probably need to adjust your form...not just slow down. Your arms/shoulders should be relaxed, straight back, and yourfeet should land directly below your hips which are in line with your shoulders. If you can run 8 miles you can run a half marathon...ezpz

...and you're not losing weight as fast as if you were pumping iron.

Aerobic training is for somebody to get fit enough to do anaerobic training.

I can totally concur on this. I stopped going to the gym last year after I got a bad dose of the flu. I went to join again recently, but decided to concentrate on aerobic fitness BEFORE I start lifting again. I made a deal with myself that I will run 5K continuous before I join the gym again.

Gaining aerobic fitness helps enormously with anaerobic work. Studies show that your body continues to burn energy for up to 10 hours after a lifting session.

I've been very haphazard with my running, but have just managed 2.6 miles with an average of 12min miles. Crap stats compared to you guys, but I'm getting there.

ran 9 miles in 1:40 this morning.

staying motivated is still my biggest challenge.[/QUOTE
You're the man, I'm sure the running us hilly too in NC.
I've been running 3 times a week, just 40-60 mins.

Running makes me feel great, the federal dole can get fattening.

the federal dole can get fattening.

hahaha. Traveling State Park to State Park means a lot of windshield time. Have to watch out for getting soft, and consider working out to stay in shape for the first time ever. I have mostly cut out second breakfast.

I was thinking more about pace last night. For me, I was used to running in what I would call an athletic stance. Probably from years of playing sports where transitioning from jogging to sprinting are the norm.(football, basketball,soccer,etc) You probably need to adjust your form...not just slow down. Your arms/shoulders should be relaxed, straight back, and yourfeet should land directly below your hips which are in line with your shoulders. If you can run 8 miles you can run a half marathon...ezpz

I focused on slowing down and duration of the run, not distance, and yesterday went great. I think I could have kicked up the pace after the 40 min mark.

Only slowing my pace by 45 seconds/mile made a big difference. A big difference was the mental relaxation with the slower pace. My mind could wander more and the miles seemed to work themselves out. Weekend off and the back at it next week with a long run (8 mile). This week was short. 3 runs, a 4 mile, 3 mile, and 5 mile.

I always found that when I just went out and ran and didn't have timing equipment was when I did the best. Just focus on a mark ahead and get there. Just push it till I felt like stopping.

I envy that.

When I go sans feedback gear, I end up running fast because, well, I like fast. To slow down takes me discipline.

I also like the gps/iPhone, etc because it gives feedback and some kind of "score". When I go run just until I am tired, I get bored.

Back