Running

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
Looks like Devas jogging thread and Scotts 10k thread disappeared.

I have signed up to do a half marathon memorial day weekend with my brother and sister and cousins. One of my uncles has cancer so we are running as a team to raise money/awareness.

I have also signed up to do a 'sprint' triathalon in August 1/4 mi swim, 15 mi bike, 5k run

Any advice from you runners on training and nutrition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be sure. I have been lifting weights for about a year, the year before that was strictly body weight excercises.

So now I go to the gym and do my lifting/bodyweight routine(s) and after that I run or bike. Ran 4 miles on Monday, biked 10 on Tuesday, Ran five Wed and again yesterday.

What I have noticed after this week is that I am craving carbs all the time.

How many grams of carbs, protien, fat are you eating a day? Are you cycling carbs depending upon the workout of the day? Are you working out every day? Are you replenishing your glycogen post workout?

I'm at approx 80 protein, 190 fats, 40g carbs and have been for about two years. I haven't changed my diet even though I have changed my workouts drastically. I will be running or biking 5-6 days a week and lifting 4-5. I'm not doing anything in the way of glycogen at the moment. I have used waxy maize in the past and wondered if I should take it after lifting, before the run or after the workout is over?

Thanks Fred.

I'm at approx 80 protein, 190 fats, 40g carbs and have been for about two years. I haven't changed my diet even though I have changed my workouts drastically. I will be running or biking 5-6 days a week and lifting 4-5. I'm not doing anything in the way of glycogen at the moment. I have used waxy maize in the past and wondered if I should take it after lifting, before the run or after the workout is over?

Thanks Fred.

So thats:

320 calories from protein
1,710 calories from fat
160 calories from carbs

Total: 2,190

Since your diet has been the same for the most part for the past two years, has your weight dropped dramatically or is it stable? Is there a reason for the ratio of p/f/c that you have now? 2,190 seems extremely low, especially on a heavy training day. If your going to be running/biking 5/6 days a week and lifting 4/5 days then you really have to up the carbs on training day and lower fat. Off days you would want to up the good fat and lower the carbs. Protein should be upped all around.

It is all trial and error. You obviously don't want to have a high calorie surplus and gain fat, but you also don't want to be too calorie deficient and deprive the body of the nutrients it needs to give you the performance you need. Also with proper nutrition you will be able to recover faster, which is really important with the amount of training your going to be doing.

I am no expert, just kind of a research junkie, and I enjoy learning about nutrition. I can help you dial in your intake over your training if you want. I'd like to see ya pimp slap that triathlon.

So thats:

Since your diet has been the same for the most part for the past two years, has your weight dropped dramatically or is it stable? Is there a reason for the ratio of p/f/c that you have now?

It is stable, diet was given to me by a bodybuilder friend. I plan on calling him tonight to get his thoughts (he already thinks I'm nuts for doing a triathalon)

Your comments have sort of reinforced what I thought...I need to up my carbs.

Willard, I never heard the OJ thing but did hear that chocolate milk is better than any sports drink.

You will have to adjust your protein intake drastically. Loading up on carbs is not the best thing for a running workout. It will help you on race day. But you need to work on your diet and stick to it the last couple weeks before the race. Water will be your best friend when running. You will be able to tell quickly when you are dehydrating. Get a training program off a running site if you haven't already and stick to it. Remember you want to just be peaking at the time of the race.

I use the Nike plus trainer. Its a Wrist band and shoe chip that tracks your milage,calories and will upload them to a site that has custom programs for all foot races. It's around 70$ at dicks. If you are running outside mostly it's the easiest way to keep track of your milage.

I signed up for rugged maniac obstacle course 5k at the end of march. The 10k bridge run April 2. And the usmc mud run which is a 4.5 mile hell course April 16. I haven't been running in about a month. Think I put on about 10 pounds as well. My training started tonight actually. 2 mile run in the rain!!

Casual pace is 10 minutes miles. When prepping for race I try to get down to 8 min miles. I'm not fast by any means. Buddy just ran a marathon at 7 min mile pace!!

That's awesome. Keep it up.

I'm so casual nowadays, I'm training for this Dipsea race in June, lots a hills and stairs.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8BJW-rxAcw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8BJW-rxAcw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yes, Greg. Lot's of miles. Distance Nerd Extrodinaire.

My freshman year, you had to break 55 minutes for a rolling hill 10 miler.
I ran like 15 seconds under and they still didn't take me.
Raced from 4th grade til senior at the college, quit racing after college.

I was Once a Runner. Good book, John L Parker. 1978.

Just keep hammering. Never look back, it shows weakness. lol.

How goes the training? Bridge run is coming up quick, in a little under 4 weeks for me. Getting there but still bad out of shape.

Do you guys run that many miles non stop? I can run but not like that.

Back