Pulling limiter caps on 346

Caps don't pull like the stihls, but the black plastic piece they are set in can come off, then clip off the tabs on the side of the cap so they can spin full 360.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, after looking at an IPL (2001-2006) I saw the part you were talking about. Took the carb off. That was not real easy. I learned the tricks, so next time will be easy. (I should write it down so I won't have to learn all over again) After it was off I found out they aren't built like that now. A pair of pliers did get the stupid limiter cap off. It has a lip that holds on pretty tight.

I set the carb by ear. It doesn't burble like the old saws did, just kinda dogs when it is to rich. With the rev limiting coil you can't judge where the lean zone is either. I put it just out of the dogging rich zone and ran a tank through and the plug electrode (flat one, that was on the white side) has tanned up a little already. Should probably buy a tach. The plug from the factory was way too tight. The carb mounting screws were a little on the loose side. Hopefully won't have to mess with it for a while.

Good deal. Unfortunately both of my 346's have been acting up and I pretty much just parked them for the time being. They run great in the shop but after 15 minutes on the job they won't idle and stall out every time you let off the throttle after a cut. I'm sure it's simple but I'm missing it and will figure it out in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The trick to getting the throttle rod out is to disconnect it from the carb, and it pulls out of the handle and through the rubber deal. The other trick is the black air intake has pins on both sides that are anchored into rubber. You can pull one side up enough to pull the rubber off to the side. My carb mounting screws were a little loose. Could be yours backed out enough for it to leak air. My experience with working on it was just the opposite of normal. It came apart hard and went back together easy.

Back