integrated bar nuts.

I haven't seen them but I presume they are a type of "captive " nut that snaps in place .Nothing new about that other than being used on a chainsaw . Lots of plastic type covers in different applications use something similar .

Here you go MB...

nuts2.jpg

I dunno in the bush maybe, but I haven't lost a bar nut in years. And hell even if you do they're cheap and one will do ya in a pinch if you're way out in the bush.

You have groundies that pull a sidecover off? Damn!

Yeah, this. I'm hesitant to let others refuel the saw, thanks to the new Stihl caps which can be easily broken if you're not careful (especially when they stick). If the side cover needs to come off then I'll come down and do it myself. Even the guys at the dealership don't know how to properly tension a chain.

I'm hesitant to let others refuel the saw, thanks to the new Stihl caps which can be easily broken if you're not careful (especially when they stick)

No kidding there. I always carry extra caps now for my 200T because my stupid groudies have broken them off so many times. The last time, I was watching from the top of the tree and I could see him going through the mental process: "Dang! I still can't figure this out even though he's showed it to me 20 times! Well, since the only thing I do know how to do is break it, I guess I'll just do that." And with a sudden hard twist of the wrist, he looks up at me holding the broken cap in his hand with this sad expression on his face like he didn't know it was going to break. My dog gives me the same stupid look after chasing the cat less than 3 seconds after I told her not to. Neither one of them can help it, even though they both knew they weren't supposed to do it.

I've actually had to come down because the only groundie there could't figure out how to put either cap back on. I was pissed.

I carry extras, too.

Hi guys,
The nut can be replaced with a new special tool. I just got the tool but have not tried it out yet. I suspect that more new saws will use this feature as they come out. I heard somewhere that the captive nut was being mandated by some country somewhere so STIHL is just going to use it on everything from here on but I don't know if that is true. Anybody else heard that?
Also there has been a change to the flip cap for the tank. The part number didn't change but the cap did. I will try to post a pic so you can see how to tell. The new cap has a little sharp tang you can feel on the edge, and it does not get so tight from the fuel additives in the gas today. Also the oil cap for the MS 200 and others has had a change as well. It now has 3 slots in the part that sticks down into the tank so it will let the air out and some of the oil if the tank is overfilled so that hopefully it won't hydro lock against an overfilled tank and false index. Hopefully no more leg luber messes. I will try to get pics of the tool and the new caps and put them up.
Eddie

Cool, Eddie. But now what do I do with the three spare new caps in the toolbox? Maybe I'll get lucky and pawn them off on other tree guys before they know about the new caps. :/:

Put 'em on eBay...
I saw a post there where some dude had 10 STIHL bar nuts up for sale and the bid was at $13 2 days before it closed! Man I'm rich if I could get that for all the nuts I have stashed on the bench!

Oh, you were talking about gas caps nut nuts. Oh well put them on eBay too! Real quick!

A groundie ain't worth having if they can't figure out a side cover and oil caps before too long. That said, I got a leg full of oil last week to start my day:X First in a long time though. Little trick some may not know. If you think you have over filled your 200t, tip the bar up 8" or so before you put the cap on and an air bubble will usually come out lowering your oil level

Some country is mandating captive nuts? Wow, the things you learn on the Tree House.

I've worked on saws brought in by a guy who says his groundie tightens the bar nut so much that it pulls the stud out of the plastic case. Twice so far, and the entire case has to be replaced.

Same thing happened to my next door neighbor .Loaned out his 60 cc Makita and it came back stud pulled .I turned him on the Scott and he snagged another case which is a Dolmar something for 50 . Actually he did pretty good for never working on a tear down before as he only needed a little bit of assistance .

Back