New 346

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, it's nothing new. They have a name for the system, but I can't think of it. Where the fan blows the air into the filter box is in a position where the dirt doesn't go in there for the most part. The filter on the 346 has the pleats facing down and I am sure that helps keep it clean.

FWIW some of the 46 cc Poulans had an air scoop gizmo on them as well as a spring suspension system long before any others had .Trivia .

Some of the old Huskies, to get the air filter cover off is like working, with the long screws. Serious about keep the dust out.

"Air injection" is what it's called. As much as I like my Stihl's, Husky is light years ahead on the air filtration! My 350 is 8 years old and I am still using the original filter, just clean it out twice a year. No, I'm not kidding, it works that good!
I've still not run a NE 346, I need to, but the old version left me wanting a LOT more! Not my cup of tea at all!
I'd like to get my hands on a Dolmar 5100 and a NE 346 at the same time, but I'm still thinking I'd like the Dolmar better.

My 394 is a '97 I have never seen any dirt or sawdust around the air filter, ever! The inside of the starter and the flywheel does get gunked up from the stuff being spun out, however.

Guys, you are running last years Stihl saws!

The 441 and the little new 262 that I tested are using a similar system of airfiltration to that of Husky and their red twin.

When I bought my first 441, I decided to see how well it worked.
So I went to slaying beech trees ( dusty as hell) and simply waited for the saw to start having breathing trouble.

3 weeks of 8 hr days before it started gasping for air!!

Yeah... you don't want that on a Stihl because they cost about $20.00 per.
Husky are slightly cheaper... :lol:
Well what's cute is if you get one with the carb removed and you have to figure out where the danged lines go to .Weed wackers mostly .Eeenie ,meany ,mighty, moe .

Guys, you are running last years Stihl saws!

I think besides the 441, you meant the MS362 and the MS261. Everything I have been emailed about the 261 filtration system is top notch. Sounds like stihl is finally learning a thing or two from tearing down all them huskys. :lol:

You're right, I hit the wrong key.
261 of couse. After running that for 3 full days, we checked the filter. No dust at all, and since the filter is black, dust shows up real well.
I was very impressed with that saw.

There is much to be said about a good filtration system .I've often said I've seen more saws that swallowed something and gave up the ghost than ever died from a lean sieze or straight gassed .

Some of those west coast wizards would cut a hole in the bottom of the air box on the big Macs back in the day to bypass the filter .Great idea ran good but not long .I'm certain though that other brands of saws were mistreated as well .

Back