New 346

Cobleskill

Treehouser
I picked up a 346 at my local dealer yesterday. Figured I better get one before they had green caps. $450 and I got him to throw in another chain.

Ran it a bunch today. I tried to stay with mostly small stuff until it is broken in. I like it.:D

Did you check to see if it has a cat muffler ? I think even some of the saws with gray caps have cat mufflers. Not sure though.

I like the primer button. I had to start mine cold today while in the tree, it seems like it starts faster with a couple pushes on the primer. I would trade it for a groundie who would start my saw before sending it to me though.:lol:

But why on any other pro model saw is there no primer and they still start.

At least my Stihls do. :P

I dunno, just lame that you have you press the primer after it sits for a few.

I ignore the primer button on th 346 and 338, and the saws start fine. Just ignore them, they'll go away.

I love the primer bulbs on the climb saws.....the one nagging remaining issue with them is that they take several cranks to get going....pump the bulb three or four times, and they start right up on the second pull.

My newer 346 (ported by Jasha Reynolds, so it's a screaming machine that is over 50% faster than stockers) has a worn choke lever that I've been too lazy to replace. Pump the heck out of it, and it will start, sans choking.

My Wraptor is also really cold blooded....pumping it helps somewhat.

My newer 346 (ported by Jasha Reynolds, so it's a screaming machine that is over 50% faster than stockers)

rb, I ran one of Jasha NE 346 woods ports at the Jan 2010 gtg. I hate to say it, but the port work left a lot to be desired compared to the other woods ported NE 346, redmax 5000 and 2 OE 45cc 346's.
Put it this way after the gtg the owner unloaded that slinger 346 like a hot potato.

I even tuned the saw thinking something was wrong with him tuning it and then put my chain on it. It was just that off compared to the other woods ported saws in the 0-50cc class.

I ignore the primer button on th 346 and 338, and the saws start fine. Just ignore them, they'll go away.
Kinda hard to ignore the 346s primer button when it gives you trouble. After lots of use my 346's bulb was leaking at the hose connections and caused the saw to run lean, one hose even popped off the bulb.
I had to cut about a 1/4" off the end of the hoses to make them fit tight again. Was a real PIA to get them back on again. I love my 346 but I have a real beef about that bulb.

Willard.

I find primer bulbs to be irritating (not to be used in the quotes thread:X). I think that they more or less started on amateur user model saws and have seeped into the professional ranks. Two extra pulls is fine with me over having to press the bulb. I just don't think your fingers need to be a pushing on things like that, it breaks up the continuity of movement, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have burned 1 1/2 gallons through it. It should be broken in. I took the air cleaner off today. Not a bit of dirt on it. I read somewhere somebody was saying the air sweep cleaning system on Huskys was a gimmick. I don't think so.

It runs good. Glad I bought it. Chainsaws sure do a lot of work and last a long time for the money. Better than the stock market, I would say.

Even on some of the older Huskies the air filter remains surprisingly clean. "Air sweeping", is that something new? Never have heard their set up being called a gimmick before, unless someone was referring to an entire saw. :lol:

Back