.. Adjusting Hi / Low screws

Cory, the reason it helps is because sometimes you can have a saw that idles while you're holding it but stalls out when you hang it on your saddle to move 2 steps.

Cory, the reason it helps is because sometimes you can have a saw that idles while you're holding it but stalls out when you hang it on your saddle to move 2 steps.
My climbing saws are always set at a fast idle , but not fast enough for the chain to turn.
Answer for Cory: never hold a saw WOT with a lean H setting. Run it rich at WOT for a few seconds between micro adjustments towards leaner.

Willard.

I don't know if there is any hard fast rule about running at WOT. When I don't hear any of that gurgling sound it gives me the creeps, and I like to back right off. I think we tend to be a bit conservative about running at WOT with a richer setting, and even getting close to that ultimate point, so to speak. Saws are built to take it when getting sufficient lubrication, but without it, friction become a bad mofo.

I think Willard offers a good method here, turning from richer to leaner.

:lol: You can get a little carried away with WOT settings .It's a good starting point but how it runs in the wood tells the tale .

I know one guy that we tried for years to politely tell him he was running too lean and relied on that tach way too much but he was a bit stubborn about it .Held those damned saws wide open for 30 seconds and fiddled with the screwdriver . I never saw one blow but I wondered .

Evidently a light bulb must have went off because of late it appears he figured it out .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... I've seen some climbers hang or drop the running saw into the leash after popping the brake ... still not my style , many pull starts (in tough spots sometimes) are a big part of being the climber / rigger ...

Perhaps it would be best to intentionally tune all chainsaws to automatically quit running if left to idle for more than 10 seconds? :roll:

i don't touch my H/L...tried that once, had to take it to the shop and he took a bit to get it right again...;) ;) I get paid to do treework, he gets paid to fix saws, seems a good fit to me :)

Perhaps it would be best to intentionally tune all chainsaws to automatically quit running if left to idle for more than 10 seconds? :roll:

For me, it's a matter of fuel consumption. I don't like running outta gas, especially aloft. If one sets the CB, I see nothing unsafe about it.

I've always adjusted my saws and other 2 strokes by taking a running engine and turning the low screw one direction until it bogged a little, then turned it the other way until it bogged again, then turned it back half way. Then I just adjusted the high screw until it started to lean out, then just backed off until it 4 stroked a little. Seems to have worked fine over the years.

You guys mentioned adjusting the saw in the wood; does that mean that you actually turn the screws while the saw is cutting ? I've heard of doing this, but never seen anyone do it.

You have to be careful adjusting the new saws with rev-limiting coils. They are common on the new saws. When you lean out the H screw you can reach a rpm where the coil starts cutting out and it sounds like 4 stroking. I think a tach is in my future.

I have two saws with rev-limiting coils. I switched them over to regular coils. Worth the $25. for a used coiled.

You guys mentioned adjusting the saw in the wood; does that mean that you actually turn the screws while the saw is cutting ? I've heard of doing this, but never seen anyone do it.
Not really .You know after a while how the thing should cut .If it bogs in the cut odds are it's an RCH lean .If it just won't get the R's it could be a tad too fat .Hard to explain just something you get a feel for .

Shaka is the hand gesture Stephen shows in that picture. Google knows all. ;)

Jay, I was trying to check out that tach but the page wasn't loading for me. I'll try to remember and check it out later.

I've had a couple tachs, and that one is a real good one. It has some different functions, and the readout is nice and clear. Wireless and with a wire, but wireless has always worked for me. Worth the money.

Back