Oregon chain compared to others

one detail Ive noticed ( also mentioned by one of the Fallers in Ger's video ) small design differences in the Stihl drivers tend to oil better ....

I don't like the extra drags on the oregon chains either! Love my Super Rapid chains!!!!

one detail Ive noticed ( also mentioned by one of the Fallers in Ger's video ) small design differences in the Stihl drivers tend to oil better ....
A few years ago that was true because of the little grooves on the drivers .Not so now, Oregon has them now .Stihl mind you is still better chain .

Canadian Oregon sawchain has a much harsher environment to work in. Our chain has been tested and developed for very cold temperature conditions. You gotta build a stronger tougher chain to last here.
I have field tested chain, sprockets, bars even the 1st Stihl "Artics" [044] and they all come here to northern Manitoba to be tested. Even the Oregon field engineers from Portland Oregon.

Willard.

Me four. Oregon has some cute sounding chain, but for really getting it done, Stihl is what i'm spinning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Following Willard's information, I called up the Oregon office here, only to find out that the chain I want to use is made in the states, not Canada.

Following Willard's information, I called up the Oregon office here, only to find out that the chain I want to use is made in the states, not Canada.

Jay, Oregon has a speciality chain available on both sides of the border called Oregon MultiCut. I have never used it but from the buzz I have heard its a very tough chain. It comes in chisel .325 [M20,21,22 LPX], chisel 3/8 [M72,73,75LPX] AND 3/8 LO PRO [M91 VX].
Check out Oregons website about this speciality chain, price is probably in line with Stihls standard chain.
Willard.

If you're going to pay as much as the Stihl chain, why would you choose something else? The only reason I have ever used anything else is because it was cheaper. I finally gave up trying to pinch pennies on the chain I use to make my living and now I simply buy the best chain available. If Oregon ever does make something as good as Stihl RS chain then I would have to see it to believe it. But it would have to be unlike anything they have sold in the last 50 years.

I've never had problems with Oregon Chain. I like the Stihl chains fine too. I didn't like hand filing the Woodsman Pro chain as it dulled a file per chain it seemed like. If you ground your chains, I suppose that would be great too. I must not be too discerning or something.

What I was saying Brian is with the Oregon MultiCut being a reinforced chain available in the 33 RS style 72 LGX , it will hold an edge longer then Stihl 33 RS at the same price.
I have to try this M72 LGX chain out myself to see how good it is. I noticed Stihl has the similar idea with 3/8 Picco chain but that chain is full carbide which would be useless for every day use.

Willard.

There generally seems to be two schools when it comes to comparing chain. There are those who think Stihl is far better than anything else and then there are those who don't notice much difference. And Oregon seems to have about a brazillian different model designations for various chain styles with umpteen different types of rakers, safety features, grind angles or whatever else. But they all run on the same wimpy chassis with the same soft steel that stretches like crazy and the teeth can't hold an edge for two tanks of fuel. At least that's the case with the chains available in the US.

No, I'm not buying some 'specialty' hardened chain from Oregon just to find something comparable to the run of the mill Stihl chain sold right off the shelf at any dealer.

You hit the nail on the head, it's about two tanks then out comes the file .

I've got an old antique Mac super 44A which is 87 cc and supposidely 6.5 HP .A Stihl dealer spun me up a 24" loop of Stihl .404 --063 chisel .The guy charged me 40 bucks which I thought was highway robbery at the time .However being used seldomly I've never touched that chain with a file in 6-7 years .That son of a brick is as sharp now as the day I mounted it .

I didn't like hand filing the Woodsman Pro chain as it dulled a file per chain it seemed like.

Oregon files???
I do fine with the Woodsman Pro.. Pferd files work fine for it. The Oregon files are about as good as the chain they sell in the US..
What Brian said.. Seeing is believing.. I too work in a harsh environment Willard. Oregon has proven to me that the chain they sell here in the US does not perform as well as Stihl or Carlton/Woodsman Pro. Period..
Happy for you that you can get the good stuff. My .02
I agree with Brian.

If history is correct I heard Stihl sold a alot of chain to the Soviet Union / Russia over the last half century and like Canada the Ruskies needed a durable chain also. Anything Swiss made has got to be good quality.
Tomorrow I'm gonna order a 25' roll of that Oregon M72 LGX and see what its like.

Willard.

I much prefer Stihl to Oregon. It lasts much longer for me between filings, that more than offsets the added price. It's a bugger to get that beak filed off if you rock it, however.:lol:

I don't know what they ship to BC but no one I've ever worked with would ever try and tell you that oregon chain is as hard as Stihl. It's way softer and imo a far inferior product. Yah I can make an oregon chain cut fast but it'll also dull fast and file away to nothing fast too.

Just to be fair, I'll order Stihl chain next time. The Woodsman Pro I ran was ages ago when there were shortages of Oregon chain.

I like Stihl, and buy it by the roll. I use both Oregon at the PT job, and Stihl on my jobs, and I can say the Oregon sure is noticeably softer and needs constant maintenance.

The Arbor pro files are less aggressive than Pferd .At least for me they seem to work better on Stihl chain .The Oregon files aren't even good on Oregon chain .

The Arbor pro files are less aggressive than Pferd .At least for me they seem to work better on Stihl chain .The Oregon files aren't even good on Oregon chain .
Al on your Oregon files what country of manufacture is on them? Just below the file size # it will say either Swiss or USA.
Willard.

Back