Oregon chain compared to others

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I measured the length of the cutters on some unused Oregon 3/8" lo-pro chain, and compared it to Stihl and Woodsman Pro. The Stihl and Woodsman are a full one quarter longer than the Oregon. I'm wondering if all their chain is that way? A user unfriendly approach, it seems to me.

Yup, the Stihl chain is pre stretched before it leaves the factory. Oregon chain just stretches like a sonofagun after you put it on the saw.

I measured the length of the cutters on some unused Oregon 3/8" lo-pro chain, and compared it to Stihl and Woodsman Pro. The Stihl and Woodsman are a full one quarter longer than the Oregon. I'm wondering if all their chain is that way? A user unfriendly approach, it seems to me.

Find a loop of the newer VXL L = longer tooth

Now it could be due to the compound angle that Oregon uses too . Stihl and Woodsman uses a straight top angle whereas Oregon has a 10 degree up on the top .

Like a dummy the first loops of Woodsman I ever got I couldn't sharpen them worth a damned until good old Crofter showed me the error of my ways .I was filing 10 up like Oregon and that doesn't get it .

Oregon seems to cut better when I file it without the 10 degree top angle. I have never looked at the brand of chain before filing it, they all get filed basically the same way and it works fine. The 10 degree top angle slows down the chain a lot though, a compensation for Oregon's butter soft teeth that won't hold an edge for more than one tank of fuel.

Yep it will cut either way . With the 10 up you have to have the working corner pretty much on the money for it to do any good . Too much up you miss the outside of the cutter just a tad ,enough to hinder rather than help .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Oregon chain seems to stretch less now compared to before. You don't get that big loop hanging down that makes you wonder if you had it set right in the first place.

ive noticed when i derail my chain the oregon chains seem to get all chewed up on the bottom side of the chain
real pita to straighten up
been ruining chains
more frequently

I feel like oregon chain as well is not holding up as it did, the stretch factor among my biggest peeves. I had thought that the local saw shop was being a jerk and making sure he added an extra link just to piss me off. Of course the extra heat here is a help as is the sand shat gets everywhere despite best efforts.

Chain stretch doesn't really bother me. It only happens during the first use of the chain and it only takes 1 quick adjustment to fix. I might get 20-30 days of use out of a single chain, and having to adjust the chain tensioner once during the first 1/2 hour of use does not seem like a very big deal. I'm more concerned with how it works the other 99% of the time.

No doubt Stihl is a better chain .I have a few loops of it .However it takes me a long time to wear out a loop of Oregon plus I have a lot of saws .Counting say 40-45 saws that are chained already and 40 or so loops on nails plus another 40 in boxes and several rolls of bulk chain I'm set for some time to come .

I wonder what exactly stretches on a chain? I can only think that there must be some slop in the rivet holes.

Exactly, Jay. The Stihl chain is probably cleaned better before assembly and the steel is harder so the holes don't wallow out and the rivet pins don't collapse as much.

It's been said that Oregon assembles the chain then grinds it .Stihl on the other hand grinds it first,cleans the parts up then assembles it .Niether will fess up what alloys of steel they use like someone couldn't copy it if they wanted to .

There are no real "secrets " in industry just different methods and perhaps quality for whatever market they happened to be in .Stihl obviously is in the higher end products therefore has to market a better quality chain .

For awhile I was doing the method of soaking a new chain in oil before using it. A kerosene bath might be good first, if there is grinding dust within the plates. At that time I was using mostly Oregon, but I don't recall if I noticed any improvement with stretching.

I use both Stihl and Oregon sawchain and I love them both. Stihl chain being manufactured in Switzerland is a very good thing but Oregon chain made in Guelph, Ontario Canada is just as good of quality.
I have bought Oregon chain from Baileys which is made in Portland Oregon and I don't like it , so I see why you Americans are bitching.

Willard.

The Ontario made chain has steel with as good edge holding qualities as Stihl?

I'm sure I have some Canadian Oregon but it would be NOS chipper most likely .I'd almost bet some of that .404 chisel that they don't even make any more is probabley Canadian .

Like I said it works for me but I'm only a part time user as compaired to many on this forum .

Back