WILD bee hive!!!

No_Bivy

Treehouser
rainy bid day here.....few peeks of sun. I got a call for honey bees....I laughed, no way......hornets nest for sure! I ate crow on that one!!!!check it out!

totally exposed comb on the bottom of a oak 6"dia oak limb. Wierd! fellow beekeeper warned of africanized bees!!!

Any who.... climbed up and vacumed bees and cut the comb. Headed home for the transfer.....sunny one minute..pouring rain the next.

Bee inspector came along to see.......bees tested for"african" genes

bees have been "boxed". I rubber banded the comb into a normal frame

crap shoot for the winter though.....................8)

Attachments

• Brenda'sBees 004.jpg
    Brenda'sBees 004.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Brenda'sBees 002.jpg
    Brenda'sBees 002.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Brenda'sBees 001.jpg
    Brenda'sBees 001.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Brenda'sBees 003.jpg
    Brenda'sBees 003.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Brenda'sBees 005.jpg
    Brenda'sBees 005.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 48
I remember when I was a kid finding an open hive like that. I told my Dad about it and he said they won't make it through the winter. He was right. Couldn't find a good hollow tree or building wall I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
done feeding ...cept for them. Only one sting aloft. Bee vacums Rock!

If you ever get to the point where you can sell some honey, keep me on your list with a standing order. Those plastic bottles ship just fine, you should have no worries about spillage or breakage. Just let me know the cost, I already got my freebie sample. :P

I've never seen a hive like that... and you ARE a crazy somebitch.

Yep, I think I finally have a road worthy vehicle, gonna close the deal next week. I'm itching.

I've never seen anything like that .

Now about honey which is said to be natures "healer " .They tell me that to be of the most benefit for it's medicinal properties that it should come from the proximity of where you live . Truth or not I can't say .

Well poor old Tom and crew didn't fair so well about 6 weeks 2 months ago when they cut into a hive of them in a hollow oak tree . Tom got about 50-80 stings and another got several hundred and landed in ICU for a day .

Would you believe those damned logs are in my burn pile now ,maybe the bees too .Some nice crisp morning I'll have bee roast .

What became of the comb?
I think it's still in the logs .

I didn't get real close to it but I saw bees buzzing around so I felt 'twas best to let sleeping dogs lie .

As time progressed I shoved brush and building debres over them with the skid loader so they are pretty much buried .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was fully suited up....one sting through the pants cuz I squised it. I used a bee vac to remove bees from the comb so it limits the number of bees flying. The comb was saved and put into a hive and then bees were added back.

Al, I be a beekeeper would come get that chunk of wood. Sounds like a big colony.

side not... For all you in warm climates. This type of hive is a trait of africanized bees. These bees were sampled and are being sent of to tested. I got to within 2' before putting my viel on...they did not seem to care I was there until I started to take the hive apart. Bee inspectors was with me, and says they are not. Just a swarm that decided to stay put. They could have survived like that if they had enough honey......but there was less then a pound....they need 40 to make it. They will be lucky to make in my yard too. I will keep sugar on them all winter.

leaves are almost done V

"They tell me that to be of the most benefit for it's medicinal properties that it should come from the proximity of where you live . Truth or not I can't say . "

My MIL believes 100%....says it's helped her allergies. I'm not quite so certain, but it sure couldn't hurt. :)

I think there is something to it .My granddad always had his medicine, a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of vinager . His dad, my great grandfather took his too but it was double shot of four roses .

Cool !!! I've always been interested in bees,I think I may finally call up a local keeper & see if I can tag along to see if it is for me.

Steve

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lNBJEb0LzpE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lNBJEb0LzpE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not knowing actually much about the habits of honey bees I would almost think there are some "wild " colonies around here . I would suspect perhaps in a hollow beech tree .
In my youth I remember that's usually where they were in the wilds .My friend thought it quit brave to investgate one of those trees and was strung right on the end of his snozzolla for his trouble . It was the sudden stop from falling 15 feet though that broke his arm is what incapacitated him for one summer .
The majority I'm told of the honey is from dandilions of which are plentifull among the rich as well as the poor . The favorite local spring crop or so it seems .

Back