OK go ahead and laugh at my Poulan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for trying Kevin. My stupid MacBook "Pro" couldn't even load it, so I couldn't watch it. :X

So when you say "red necking it" I assume you mean, sanding it down by hand???? What's that process like? How do you do it?

Thanks for trying Kevin. My stupid MacBook "Pro" couldn't even load it, so I couldn't watch it. :X

So when you say "red necking it" I assume you mean, sanding it down by hand???? What's that process like? How do you do it?

Depending on type of cylinder. Flat true surface or one with hole in it. Emory cloth etc held in place to remove material. Measure all 4 corners before and after keeping everything square and true.

Here is what happened when the 70.7cc testing was done.

Testing was done in a nice piece of solid 14" ash

All saws ran 7T 3/8 and all were set in the 13.4k to 13.7k range. Chain was a fresh square off of friends square grinder. Rakers were (guessing 27 to 29) just over 25 but less then 30 guessing on the 30 part.

2 cuts 14" firm solid fresh take down ash.

372 11.87 11.91 stock no muffler mods screen pulled.

440 10.94 10.93 stock with muffler mod, DP muffler cover with enlarged side exit hole too.

445 10.13 10.44 stock no muffler mods and still had spark screen installed.

I really thought the 445 was going to be the slowest in the cut as quite as it was and throttle response wise out of cut. Even in the cut I thought it might have been the slowest till the times were being read out to me.

Little poulan pulling 3/8 full comp 119DL in a rip cut test :lol:. The rednecked husky cover failed my noodle clearing test. back to the oem cover. :|:

tbar 001.JPG tbar 004.JPG

Yesterday it got warm enough to go out and play.

This saw is about like a husky 365 special, dolmar 6400 etc. Dont think stihl has one in this 65cc range.

I grabbed my stock poulan 65cc. Put a 3/8 8T rim and a very aggressive square filed chain I did for a 3120. I just wanted to see if the little guy could pull it with a 8.

The white pine cants left over from chain build off was forgiving with my pushing. It would have been in trouble in the hardwoods with this chain I think. Maybe not with a 7 but the combo was not for it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cBCkLC2ovpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just sharing some old top handle saws I picked up on the way to help a friend out with some downed ash. Figured that some of you might have used at one time.
Older CV poulans in craftsman colors. 38cc

Red one has front and rear AV antivibe with 3/8LP 3/8 7T rim. Blue and Yellow 1/4" 9T rims.

All running now after getting some parts for the yellow one from a parts saw.

crafts38cca.png

Bench #1 going through the new to me TH's.

Poulan 365 with big carb big intake boot from 3450. Dolmar 6000i is a best and used for the 3 butt cuts with 24" buried and using back cut to do so.

craftsman3echo4000cyl 014.jpg d6000p365a.png d6000p365.png

Did everything but the last 3 cuts with the 60cc poulan 365 that weighs the same as a 50cc saw.

jwood.png jwooda.png jwoodb.png

Went back and was quartering the butt logs for the guy with 6800i 24" rip cuts. 6000i saw but he put a 6800i topend kit on it. Had heated handles too.

Also was checking my 76.5cc out and she wants crank bearings. :cry: Even had a NOS 475 2077 topend kit I was going to put on it.

pn475e.jpg pn475a.jpg pn475b.jpg pn475c.jpg pn475d.jpg

I helped 2 folks out today. 1 was just wanting 3 11" cookies about 2" thick. Some local wanted to charge her $10 a cut per cookie. :O
I told the women I would cut her 3 cookies for free and sometimes it is not about the $ pass it on freely.

The other was a preschool looking for wood projects for kids to stack and play with. They were wanting to pay me but again I said consider this a donation. 8)

Well my little 3.3 335 impressed the heck out of me today again. Besides all of the little cuts and the biggest 16" buried bucking.
I decided to see how it would do ripping the ash butt log with the 16" buried. :thumbup: Also did some noodling and it would pack up the clutch cover at times. But dang she ripped for a 54cc.
Also ran a 372 I rebuilt and sold. Dang it was a good running saw ripping with 24"

Guess really helped 3. because quartering up the last 2 butt logs the guy can now move to use his splitter.

Front left 3 are 11" x 12"

ashprojects.jpg ashprojectsc.jpg ashprojectsa.jpg

Stripped the 475 all the way down to where the crankcase could be split. Not going to use the right half anyways as it was the half I had to redneck repair.
Will use a 445 crankcase or other 475 cc. All I want from this 475 was the good crankshaft for the 445 or other 475. All the parts put in a bin and shelved.

Still havent come up with anything to fit this freaking worm gear. Guarandangtee ya no freaking worm gear will be going back on with the nos 475 seal and bearings. Will all be updated bearing seal and oiler system from the 505 445 425 stuff.

IMO even the 475 air filter set up suks. Why I updated it all the first time to the 505 AF set up.

Guy in Canada told me he needed a 83cc cylinder and crankshaft.

I had a 475 with bad crank bearing I had just tore down as it was my runner. So told him he could get that crank since I have others.

Told him he could have my cylinder on my wild thing 83cc which was still going strong. I have other topends to use and the wild thing was built from spare parts.

Plus the to do bench full since the to do shelf is full too. :whine: :lol:

pwildthing505 008.jpg pwildthing505 016.jpg pwildthing505 006.jpg pwildthing505 004.jpg

Little shop of horrors. Actually, though, it's really cool to see a saw work that was made out of salvaged parts. Frankenstein saw... it's alive!

In the 70's I had a couple of top-handled Poulans, model Super X 25 I believe, and I have to say they were very dependable saws. My only gripe was the single bar stud. A 5/16 Allen head screw actually. It always loosened up.

Back