OK go ahead and laugh at my Poulan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Little shop of horrors. Actually, though, it's really cool to see a saw work that was made out of salvaged parts. Frankenstein saw... it's alive!

In the 70's I had a couple of top-handled Poulans, model Super X 25 I believe, and I have to say they were very dependable saws. My only gripe was the single bar stud. A 5/16 Allen head screw actually. It always loosened up.

These? Good runners 38cc and seen some hurt a 200 feeling before.

In green they are S25DA with no av and S25CVA with av like the red one.

craftsmansx3 003.jpg craftspoulan38cc.png

I'll take an old twin triggered Super 2 all day long n into the sunset!

I'm pretty certain I've thrown a few of the pull on's in anger, at height!

They even look uncomfortable n unwieldy!

Egged out dozens n dozens of the engine mount holes in my Super2's as a teen.

Great fan palm buzzin saw, very lightweight.

Don't talk smack bout Super2's or I'll post pics of one, I'm warnin yuz....

Jomo

Note the nice TIG weld right at the front trigger Jimbo.

Magnesium cases, never throw in anger.......unless....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 20
Yup, one up front, one in back.

I may be wrong of course but the old Super2's are the only twin triggered trimsaws ever made I know of.

And for 90 bugs a pop?

Kinduva throwaway trimsaw anyways.

Cases make a nice fire in the desert too.

Jomo

Both triggers performed the same function Jim, throttle.

One at a balanced midpoint of the handle, the other all the way at the rear, for maximum reach n leverage.

Super flimsy throttle assembly protection though, just a long fragile strip of flimsy plastic, that you could fracture by just lookin at. Their hottest selling aftermarket item.

The twin trigger concept's still Super today IMO. A sliding locking single ergonomically optimized trigger assembly'd be even better.

Jomo

I give them little homies away. Cant stand them. Even the 2 trigger ones.

homelite 002.JPG

That tit in the oil tank fallen off n causin a huge cloud of blue smoke!

Those were the days!

Hey Smokey! Over here!

Jomo

Got this one in trade. $10. Sent it out for shipping too. I would use it to cut below the dirt in fence line. :lol:

newbar325001_zpscb1f7ec3.jpg

newbar325010_zps637dfa5b.jpg

The 2 trigger that was posted above. Some folks love them, I just aint one of them.

xl2005_zps536eacea.jpg

xl2001_zpse4dbb460.jpg

xl2002_zps6ec695b1.jpg

xl2004_zps1ae8f794.jpg

Yu gotta XL925 mate?

They make great Molotov cocktails when they get real hot!

Jomo

First chainsaw I laid my hands on was a Montgomery Wards electric, orange ultra thick plastic, indestructible with an 8 inch bar. Had to tote around hundreds O feet of drop cords. Nothin but shaggy palms, spiral up this way a turn or two, then the other way a turn or two. Like a koala with a dreadfully long tail. 1973 lotsa palm tree.

Jomo

The 925s were good dependable saws, but like you said. If you didn't run them dry when they were hot the fuel would boil out of the tank when you pulled the cap. Like old Faithful. Scary.

Thanx for showing those pics of the the old Poulan's. Good stuff.

I've got a super 2 Homelite that was given to me .It was Homelites competition to a Mini Mac .About 90 bucks out the door .

The Homies were twice the saw the door stop Minis were. My Dad got so that was all he could handle. He beat the snot out of the Homie and it kept coming back for more. He finally bought a new one. It didn't last for beans. I don't know if he got a bad one, but I suspect they cheaped out on them.

Finally got a break from doing other folks saws and getting my mowers ready for season.

83cc with another topend and oem piston. Few other updates and back to a stock muffler. Just cant stand the noise of the modded muffler anymore.

DSCF8943.jpg

That talk about boiling the gas reminds me of 1974 .My cousin and I took two little saws to the mountains of Colorado to cut firewood for a deer hunt .At elevations above 9,000 feet both saws,a little Pioneer plus my s-25 Poulan that I still have would boil the fuel .

Lightly used.

Rebuilt from a box and painted lime green for fun back in 2013.
Just cleaned up and put another top p+c and new impulse line etc. Sold the other topend to a guy in B.C. needing one and sold him the crank out of my 475 I had tore down for bearings.

Found a pic of 505 before I went through it 2013

490airfiltercylcover002.jpg

Back