Whizzy

sotc

Dormant hero!!
One of my competitors mentioned using a "whizzy" in the face cut of a heavy side leaner or a big sweep. I had never heard of this but sounds functional. The way he explained it was to form a Humboldt face, then cut a wedge out of the bottom of the face on the tension side.
Made sense to me as that in effect would be like a gap face on one side forcing the hinge to break on the compression side as the face closed but possibly allowing the tension side to hold a bit longer. Possibly even tearing down the sap wood if it swung far enough. Any of you heard of this or used it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is how I understood it

Attachments

• Whizzy.JPG
    Whizzy.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 142
Trying to figure how the cut would effect the tree's fall. Almost looks like once the face closes, the whizzy comes into play allowing the tree to swing away from the lean in your drawing. Just trying to understand it Willie...

I think it comes into effect before that even but seems it would be most noticiable after the face closed. I'm gonna try it sometime

i thought that lil corner of the face removal trick was about hopping it off the stump to one side,
so when its closing it causes it to hop off on the whizzzy side
i could be wrong tho

Seems like a reasonable proposition. Like all gimmick cuts intended to hold one side of a hinge better/longer than the other, the weakness in that proposition is the lack of precision in gauging the degree of effect you'll get.

It has similarities of function to the face cut manipulation that wiley p calls swizwell...and some similarities in name, too, now that I write it down :). Stig uses that technique with great regularity, but I don't recall off the top of my head what he calls it...German cut, maybe? That's the one where you bore in vertically on the tension side below the apex of the slopeing and horizontal cuts forming the face.

Last edited:
Yes, seems it would vary according to species, lean, tree size and "whizzy" size. Gimmick, I like that

So I'm confused on Stig's cut, I thought it was made vertical? Where does the horizontal come in?

It is made vertically, I think Burnham just miswrote.

I used it today, with great succes.
I had to fall a very large beech. It had been growing at the very edge of the stand, so had a LOT of branches on the side away from the stand of trees. Unfortunately there was a lot of little maples right where it wanted to fall. Since crushing the next generation of forest is frowned upon here, I had to swing it 90 degrees sideways to the way it wanted to go. It was so sideheavy that I doubted I could pull it off, but with no skidder available until next week, it was a case of try, or hike back in next week for one tree.And it is one heck of a hike to that tree.

I bored the hinge and set my vertical cut in the side I wanted to hold. It went exactly where I wanted it to go, only whacked the top off two little maples:D

I was a happy little faller for the rest of the day. Nothing like pulling off something you doubt can be done.

I used it today, with great succes.
I had to fall a very large beech. It had been growing at the very edge of the stand, so had a LOT of branches on the side away from the stand of trees. Unfortunately there was a lot of little maples right where it wanted to fall. Since crushing the next generation of forest is frowned upon here, I had to swing it 90 degrees sideways to the way it wanted to go. It was so sideheavy that I doubted I could pull it off, but with no skidder available until next week, it was a case of try, or hike back in next week for one tree.And it is one heck of a hike to that tree.

I bored the hinge and set my vertical cut in the side I wanted to hold. It went exactly where I wanted it to go, only whacked the top off two little maples:D

I was a happy little faller for the rest of the day. Nothing like pulling off something you doubt can be done.

8)

I might have it wrong, but what is being described seems much like the 'snipe' off the corner of the Humboldt face that Jerry talks about in his book.

Back