Free Climb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shit.

You're right Brian, I'll be caught up again in a few years.
I guess that's the trade off.

I still think about all of you even if I'm way out of the loop.

at least it wasn't weeks ago, a matter of hours.
I've been offline for a few days now, with some DNS Burps.

I'm not buffed in the least bit.
:)

I appreciate my time here with you guys, especially you two.
Seeing as we got to work together for a day or two and really meet.

anyhoo.

Curious where this thread will go, now?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwJAILOxEjw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwJAILOxEjw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'd not seen it before. So I for one am grateful Deva. Amazing.

You'd have to enjoy the work, that is for sure. The electrical towers here all look like they have a means to be clipped in as you climb up. That would seem to be a basic requirement if you can't hire crazy people. Don't know about those leather gloves for grip.

You'd have to enjoy the work, that is for sure. The electrical towers here all look like they have a means to be clipped in as you climb up. That would seem to be a basic requirement if you can't hire crazy people. Don't know about those leather gloves for grip.

Same here. I've had the opportunity to climb up two small towers and both of them had a cable running from top to bottom. Seems like a safer way to go about it than just free climbing.

Should be easy enough to design a system, where you'd only have to change over a few times on your way up, like from one cable to the next.

The newer high voltage towers in my area all have a solid unbroken metal shaft that runs parallel to the step rods. They clip to that. I've only seen someone climb one from a distance, but it appears that they have some hardware attached to the end of a safety that only slides in one direction, and they have an additional clip off their belt. Talking with one of the workers, he said that there isn't a time when they aren't supposed to be clipped in. I like the guys walking on the wires.

It's easy to tie off on towers with a ladder hook. I hate gloves for climbing but tower steel gets pretty cold up high.

The construction guys bop around up there with no tie-in all the time. I generally stayed tied off but unclipping wasn't freaky or anything, the hand and foot holds are bomber. It's like trees swaying with the wind, spooky at first but you get used to it.

Back