Stein Arbor-Trolley

I figure a caster as a back-up to balancing. Difficult terrain and/ or big loads might aid. Looks like there is a skid plate of sorts on the bottom, not an open tube end that would be more likely to snag if it hits the ground. time will tell. for long single log loads, it might be easier to roll it some on all three than to get it totally balanced.

If it needed a castor I 'spect Reg or Nick woulda put one on:/:

You load the trolley with the load forward. The leverage from the handle or picking up the load allows you to tip it back and pull it. With a caster if you loaded it to the back it would tip up like normal, no good. If you load it to the front than a majority of the load will be on the caster which would work on concrete or hard turf, but not anything soft.

The size of a potential caster is limited by the height that you want to lift the handle and the angle you want to put the trailer on.

The handle also acts as an emergency brake of sorts. With a caster you would lose that functionality.

With the load balanced only slightly forward it requires so little energy to lift the handle that I think compared to the same load with the weight on a caster it would be harder to pull because of the additional tractive friction from the other wheel.

If you are pulling mechanically as long as the source/direction of the pull is above the lifting angle of the handle it will keep it off the ground. I could be totally wrong, someone should fit it up with a caster and do some comparison video for us!

-NOT IT :lol:

Nick you are correct. I put a caster on my dump cart several inches before the tongue. The weight shifts easily front to back throwing off balance. Even if it had pneumatic wheel in the front it would do the same. Double wheels I also agree would be the best option. Very wide wheels could work as well I would bet.

I don't think a castor would roll as well on lumpy turf. My guess is that a castor would be a mistake and compromise the balance factor.

It could very well not make it function all that well. Hell take a wheelbarrow for example add the extra wheel and its a whole new breed and drives me nuts to use one it just isn't steerable like one should be.
A brush hog type wheel set up could work for it, easy on and off as well as height adjustable via shims

Ive been looking to do a time-lapse of a whole job using the Arbor Trolley. Today we rolled up on a relatively large section of pin oak that fell out of a big mature tree and crashed into a big european copper beach. We were working a good distance, grass bricks and concrete, from the chipper.

I think this is the best video to date showing the impact of the AT on a given job.

http://youtu.be/V8XUZHzebmc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V8XUZHzebmc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YEAH, Nick! Great vid showing off the AT. Good job! :thumbup:

... not too sure about the air-guitar with the rake, though ... :?

:lol:

Great vid. U work your chipper as hard as your AT!!

The music worked for me...

Yeah and how bout what big green owes him for pulling all those jobs in under time??

Nick, nice work. I got mine last night. Its heavy, which I knew. Because it was in a typical smooth cardboard box, and I had no gripper gloves, I decided to bring it to the front door with the hand-truck. Seems beefy.

Do you work on a lot of flat lots? My thought is that the uphills are where mechanized pulling will pay off. That's where I imagine a wheel might allow the cart to be pulled without someone at the cart.

Have you figured out a creative way to store the extensions when not in use/ during transport?

Back