Alpine Magnum

How's the vibration?

I'd there any way to divert the exhaust further from the operator. Sometimes, I get my back pack blower situated and idle or WOT as appropriate for flush cutting stumps.

I'd like to figure out an exhaust pipe extension for my SuperJr stumper. Round Tuit.

"Leading a bear through a salsa dance." I like that.

I'll never forget the time I bucked a windfall valley oak, with a Mac 125 and 60" bar. Made about 6 runs. I was young, lean and mean, but in no shape to wrestle with that saw and buck that tree. It totally whooped me.

Then, when I got that 090 I learned all over again what pain and exhaustion was all about. That kind of equipment is brutal on a mans body. Give me a climbing saw any day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha, i tell people that 090 is cool to run but not fun!

Yep.
New apprentices are always looking at the 880 with lustfull eyes.
A day of bucking with it usually puts an end to that.

Is there anti-vibe gloves available? After half a hour with this non AV 090 there's more num than just my brain.

Yes there are, but for something like that I don't think they'd help much.

Not to bad the vibration...more about keeping it under control and working in the hole, especially when you're already 2 feet down and grinding vertical and there's still stump down there.....Bay Laurels are forever deep.

I've wanted to but I'm lazy...

but been thinking of bolting on a fat polyurethane skateboard wheel to the bottom... like a giant kryptonic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Do you find the power head is askew from true ..... maybe it's an optical illusion but seems the whole thing is a shad bent...

Doesn't your magnum have the round poly puck deal on the foot? Pull the spike off and step on the thing with my foot is what I've done in the past...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah,Don't play yourself, nothing about that machine is ergonomically correct. Usually I step on it till I get a bit of mulch to put under the puck/foot. definitely puts you in an awkward sideways type position ,same as if you were to grind right up to a structure or cement or fence,etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We have had one for like 8 months now. Hate it love it. It?s our only stump grinder. Los Angeles is the PERFECT place for one. Lots of tiny yard with tiny gates that no normal stump grinder can access. Lots of hills. Lots of people with money.

We charge $250-350 minimum for even the tiniest stump. I go $250 if we are doing other things at that job site. If I?m sending guys there JUST for one 6? stump: $350. We also give whoever is grinding the stump a $50+ bonus.

We track every stump. Cost. How long the stump took. Issues (broken utilities, go backs, etc). So far we have only had one situation that required a go back because not enough was ground.

If it got stolen I?d buy another in a heartbeat. But I kinda hate it. Changing the teeth is tedious. They dull quick. The carbide cutters break off. We have I think 6 sets we?re always cycling through. The vibrations are crazy.

It?s worth it for us. But if I could access 50% of our stumps with a real stump grinder i would ditch the AM in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much nailed it...

how are u guys sharpening...or taking it to a place?

I'm gonna see if the local chipper blade guy does these teeth.....

Seems like a green wheel or diamond wheel on a portable angle-grinder, with a proper respirator, would be a way to go.

Dismounting, changing, remounting, trip to the sharpening service. PITA, sometimes avoidable.

I've never sharpened carbide, but might look into it, now that I'm grinding more.

I wonder if you could set up a mini-vacuum to catch debris, maybe like the way they add a bottle on the end of a portable shop-vac for catching bees. Instead of mesh, some filter material where the bottle meets the hose, and ability to monitor for spark/ fire issues, and keeping the sparks away from general shop dust (potential explosion, a la grain dust or wood mill dust explosions, IINM).

I wouldn't want to sharpen indoors without a good dust system.

Just did this today. Super tiny gap approx 12? wide. I was able to sell a $1,300 trenching and stump grinding job because we were able to get this root.

a3a6bbc331b7a7600e5e2003f622b340.jpg

57c3cc88d8683d4712d155ae127b69b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back