Alpine Magnum

I have a hard time seeing those as profitable machines.

I had similar feelings but my brother was keen on buying one. Now, every time I use it I realize how good of a purchase it was. If you dig the stump out enough it can tear through some wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a hard time seeing those as profitable machines.
Nothing is profitable if you don't bid right. I still have Tree services referring stumps to me they can't get to and i haven't had one of these for years. That makes the stump worth more. No doubt if I can get the big machine to the stump quickly, it's faster.
Nice!

What do you mean by duals?
My big machine has dual wheels on the drive end for stability, to fit through a 36" gate you have to remove the outside wheels. Not a big deal but its a few minutes each way. Not to mention either unchaining or flying the big machine out of the truck as opposed to dragging the little unit out of the bed and just go.

Okay, I understand now, thanks. I used a Vermeer for awhile that had the removable duals, it was definitely a pain in the arse taking them on and off. When we first started talking to Alpine they advised us to call a local company that owns 7 of the AM grinders. The guy that we talked with stated that it can hold its own with a 252 once you factor trailer time and cleanup. He also said that they use theirs a lot on replanting holes because of how deep you can grind. After 6 months or so of use and a couple dozen stumps I would fully agree with him. We use only rock teeth, they seem to stay sharp longer.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Solo power head and never seen the results they claim but it has a place. I got the husky this time, hope my Stihl's don't gang up on it, it's just a dirty stumper after all. ..
I didn't see a value in the rock teeth, i just got the faster cutting teeth.

Same as us, just one husqvarna and it's a dang ol' stump grinder!:lol:

My favorite thing about the AM is that 99% of tree dudes I show it to or tell about it think it's the stupidest thing they've ever heard of. That's saying something!

Until you wheel it through a house to grind a stump!

That's right! I really want to take mine in an elevator, that would make my day:)

How can you not like a 2 Stroke stump grinder?......The wild AM is the antithesis of the diesel.

The 3120 is tried and true.

I keep the Crap teeth on to clean and cheat on the next new stump....sometimes it takes some exploring to learn that stump....then put the new teeth on and it's Homerun Derby.

Anyone remember watching Homerun derby?

This palm was like butter.

36a2e997b183b61e24bf15e6c08f64c7.jpg

Acacia is the worst grinding I've experienced.

Long dead stumps seem to be made from meteorites or similar.

Ps. IMO you're wasting effort doing those street trees with your alpine.

Sub them out, or get a cheap 252 Vermeer or similar.

So what are you guys billing the Am out at $500 an hour?
Gotta dial that price in. Just used it at home to grind 4 stumps and wiped 2 sets of teeth out in that and a tank of gas.

Acacia is the worst grinding I've experienced.

Get a 252....

Totally. One thing at a time. For now I make the AM worth it. I'm looking for some kinda 252 with a green wheel and all that trick shit on a light weight 252..and a place to store it..fatty stumps...my buddy has a tow behind diesel vermeer.

The bigger and more expensive the machine, and productive, the higher the hourly.

$100/man hour seems good to me for a $4000 machine with low risk and overhead, no special tow vehicle or storage space.

Back